EPB Bedding In Procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've done an all round disk and pad and shoe change on the LR using Bodsy's Bible. At the moment the fuse is pulled on the EPB and the shoes adjuster is all the way in. A couple of questions for those who have already been this way and maybe have some tips/tricks/gotchas that weren't in the bible....

-- should I reinstate the fuse before doing the adjuster ? I do have a tool to put the EPB into mount/latch/unjam mode - should I do any of those ?

-- after the physical adjustment is done, as these are new shoes I need to do the bedding in procedure which sounds scary as I am worried I might end up tearing up the EPB actuator or the new shoes or both. Book says enable the bedding in mode then perform 10 runs where you use the EPB to bring the LR to a stop. I read it as get the LR up to about 25mph then foot off the gas and use the EPB to bring to stop. Pause, repeat until done. When doing this, did you just use the EPB alone or did you help it out with footbrake ?

Given the nightmare I had getting the rear seized disks off in the first place I want to ask the dumb questions up front. Measure twice, cut once is a truism that I have learnt in the passing of years ;-)

Thanks!

-- Stuart

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am afraid that this is a necceserry procedure and you have to do it.I had mine done on the way to New Orleans, in Allentown PA.Mine jammed on the highway , so I had to have it done in Allentown LR dealer.As far as bedding info, i just saw technician do it on parking lot, speeding up at least 10 times and apply EPB s per book, so don,t worry , you won,t brake anything(unless you did something wrong during installation), EPB can be used at greater speeds.
Good luck.

Trynian

Reaction score
Just follow the bible. You will see it start to adjust each time you pull the lever and it will make sense.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the bedding in procedure isnt really necessary. thats just to warm up the pad so it finishes hardening . but there is no harm in doing it also.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my concern is that it may put extra strain on the EPB actuator and result in its failure and expensive replacement. I've only had some screeching (not the weird sounds that a certain YouTube video featured) and I've tried to keep that to a minimum to avoid lasting damage. It seems like the bedding in procedure is really just to rough up the surfaces of the shoes to improve stick - is that what you mean by hardening ?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112