Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that many have had issues balancing those tires. Not sure if its the shop or quality control from Goodyear

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read that many have had issues balancing those tires. Not sure if its the shop or quality control from Goodyear
His are Toyos, but I am just not sure how well LR4s do with big MT tires. I feel like I am pushing the limit with mine, but they are fine. Nothing is ever simple. ;-)

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm going to cut and weld a small piece of the frame and move those HVAC lines in the back tire but I want to know if there's more drama. I'm just in love with the look of those MTR's

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Umberto,

I heard good things about the Nittos and I think they are pretty tame on the paved roads. You do a LOT of driving, so I think you would want something very on-road comfortable. I also hear great things about the Toyo Open Country AT 2s. As you know, I have the BFG A/T KOs and I really like them, great on our CA terrain and good on the road. Then again, my LR4 is not really my daily driver. I am not sure of the on-road difference between the load ratings you are discussing in your post, but would the 10-ply be a bit less road savvy? I have an E-rated tire, which I like because of all the weight on my truck.

Either way, I am curious as to what you pick. Good luck!

-David

Thanks David. Yes, considering Toyo owns Nitto, I bet their AT2s are excellent choices as well, I am mostly considering the new Nittos because of fellow LR owners I know that run the "old" Terra Grapplers and swear by them as an excellent on and off-road tire. I figured the new design can only be better. Plus, I was attracted to that size (285/60) being available in a LT rating. Also, the Nittos look really cool, which never hurts. :biggrin:

Your BFGs TA KO are also 10-ply "E" tires. I know how excellent their reputation is off road, but how do you like them on the road? Do you "feel" the extra unsprung weight of a Light Truck tire in everyday driving? Is there a penalty to pay in harsher ride versus a Passenger tire? I realize the gas mileage probably won't improve much... But I keep wondering if I am overthinking this and I should just go with a more "sensible" passenger, XL rated A/T. I am just sick and tired of collecting nicks and tears sidewalls when the going gets a bit rough, my spare tires have been way too busy. This has happened with my old Cooper Zeon LTZs and with the Yokos.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto, the new BFG KO2 looks pretty sweet!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure it'll be worth the wait, but the 265/65R18 size I would be interested in is not coming out until April/May next year and, knowing BFG's prices, one of those KO2 is probably going to cost nearly as much as two of the Nittos... Don't know if I can wait until Spring to spend almost 2 grands for tires. :help:

kalR

Reaction score
Hello All,

New addition to the forum. Thanks to this amazing thread, I found (almost) all the information I needed.

I have a 2010 LR4. Getting the PD1881 wheels delivered tomorrow. Decided on 265/65/18 BFG AT KOs. I was told KO2s in 265/65/18 size are not available yet.

One question - Can someone recommend any TPMS for PD1881s? My LR dealership recommends 2014 model TPMS at $105 per piece.

Best Regards,
Kal

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a set of sensors from TPMSdirect.com for my PD1880s a couple of years ago, no problems and I saved about $40-50 per sensor - at that time, haven't checked recently. Not sure if 2014-15s are compatible with those however, as I know Land Rover switched TPMS frequency during MY2013 production, so sensors sold by third parties and listed as "compatible" with MY2010-13 LR4s may no longer work on later builds (late production 2013s and newer), and vice-versa of course.

Last edited:

kalR

Reaction score
I purchased a set of sensors from TPMSdirect.com for my PD1880s a couple of years ago, no problems and I saved about $40-50 per sensor - at that time, haven't checked recently. Not sure if 2014-15s are compatible with those however, as I know Land Rover switched TPMS frequency during MY2013 production, so sensors sold by third parties and listed as "compatible" with MY2010-13 LR4s may no longer work on later builds (late production 2013s and newer.)

When I select my year/make/model, its showing one type of TPMS for years 2010 thru 2013. I will place an order. Thanks so much for your prompt response!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whartonlax