Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Etunes

Reaction score
This combo rides better at 40PSI than the stock twenties on the street.

Attachments

• LR4.jpg
    LR4.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 346

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I put about 15,000 miles on my BFGs and they are in great shape. I do 5 wheel rotation pattern every 5,000 miles. Steering is nice and stable , very even tire wear. For city and highway driving I keep the following cold tire pressure F 42 PSI and R 48PSI. When off roading I deflate to 35 PSI (front and back) ( HOT tire pressure ) for better comfort and smoother ride.
Last time I went to 25 PSI hot since the driving was on soft sand. Probably it was not needed.
It looks like BFG will last for long time. My original contis with only 5000 miles on them look horrible. I think they would last no more than 10-15,000 highway driven miles.
Some of you remember that originally I planned on putting Compos with BFG for off roading only and use original 19 inch land rover wheels for everyday driving. ( LR4 is my wife's car). Since my significant other fell in love with BFG / compos set up, they stayed on the truck since day one.
Now, every time I see LR4 with original wheels / tires it looks to me like something is not right. It is not cheap to get 5 compos and put all terrain tires but a new look of the truck with this set up is worth the money.
( especially if you use your LR4 as it should be used).:proud:

Just FYI, I air down to 18psi for sand. 25 is still quite high and will make a big difference lowered further. It's all about a bigger footprint to "float" in the sand. Hell, the jeep guys here in stock wheel / tires go down to 20.

kalR

Reaction score
Thanks TLB! I will compare the pics. Weather has been pretty crappy here in PA state since last week so didnt get a chance.

Since my last post, this is what I have done:

1. ordered black center caps for the Compos
2. ordered black lug nuts (Thanks Umberto for the link in one of your previous posts).
3. Instead of spending $500 or so for the TPMS, I ordered the GAP IIDtool with BT capability for Discovery 4. Ordered from Island 4X4.
4. Ordered Rock Sliders/Gas Tank/TC skid plates from Tactical 4X4
5. Ordered front skid plate and rear diff skid plate from ASFIR

I am not sure if I will use the Johnson Rods anymore. they are just sitting on my desk.

I will post the pics once the weather is at least 20F. :smile:

Here are the pictures.

P_J_F

Reaction score
This thread has so much great info in it - thanks guys.

Just joined the forum as a result of finding this, and read it start to end twice..

I'm just about to pull the trigger on 5 Compomotive 18" PD1881's and had a question for the guys running 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KOs.

I'll need to drop down to access mode height when pulling into the garage - I don't mind a little rubbing but want to make sure access height still works so I can get in and out of the garage without ripping my rack off.

Can anyone running this combo kindly let me know if access mode still works okay, tried searching the forum but didn't find an answer.

Maybe Finlayforprez or Waterndirt?

Also - looks like the BF Goodrich A/T KO 2's are coming out mid April which is around the time I would get the wheels... might wait for those.
If anyone has any feedback on the version 2's let me know.

thanks in advance!

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has so much great info in it - thanks guys.

Just joined the forum as a result of finding this, and read it start to end twice..

I'm just about to pull the trigger on 5 Compomotive 18" PD1881's and had a question for the guys running 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KOs.

I'll need to drop down to access mode height when pulling into the garage - I don't mind a little rubbing but want to make sure access height still works so I can get in and out of the garage without ripping my rack off.

Can anyone running this combo kindly let me know if access mode still works okay, tried searching the forum but didn't find an answer.

Maybe Finlayforprez or Waterndirt?

Also - looks like the BF Goodrich A/T KO 2's are coming out mid April which is around the time I would get the wheels... might wait for those.
If anyone has any feedback on the version 2's let me know.

thanks in advance!

Yes, access mode is fine with 265's. Not sure anyone has said there is any rubbing if you are just pulling straight. Start turning tightly and maybe.

If your wheels are coming in April, I would hold off. That's me though and always wanting the newest thing.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd that on wait for the KO2. 265/65/18 are released next month and it's the first update to that tire in decades! Well worth the wait.

Also, as said already.. the only time you would rub is if you were really turning lock to lock in access height. This would only be tire tread rubbing on the metal framehorn too, so you aren't really tearing any plastic bodywork up. If you are driving in relatively straight, it's absolutely fine.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd that on wait for the KO2. 265/65/18 are released next month and it's the first update to that tire in decades! Well worth the wait.

Also, as said already.. the only time you would rub is if you were really turning lock to lock in access height. This would only be tire tread rubbing on the metal framehorn too, so you aren't really tearing any plastic bodywork up. If you are driving in relatively straight, it's absolutely fine.
I agree with the above two posts - you won't have any issues at all.

I ordered the KO2s and they will arrive next month. I will let you guys know how they are, but I expect them to be great!!!

P_J_F

Reaction score
Yes, access mode is fine with 265's. Not sure anyone has said there is any rubbing if you are just pulling straight. Start turning tightly and maybe.

If your wheels are coming in April, I would hold off. That's me though and always wanting the newest thing.

I agree with the above two posts - you won't have any issues at all.

I ordered the KO2s and they will arrive next month. I will let you guys know how they are, but I expect them to be great!!!

Thanks guys - I'm going to wait on the K02's for sure.

Torn between 265/65/R18 vs 275/65/R18

Anyone running 275/65/R18's on the 18" compomotive wheels with Johnson Rods?

If so, can you still drop down to access height as long as you don't have to do much turning?

Possible to mount a deflated 275/65/R18 spare?
I wouldn't think so since it appears tough to get a 265/65/R18 BFG KO spare in there...

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I'm going to wait on the K02's for sure.

Torn between 265/65/R18 vs 275/65/R18

Anyone running 275/65/R18's on the 18" compomotive wheels with Johnson Rods?

If so, can you still drop down to access height as long as you don't have to do much turning?

Possible to mount a deflated 275/65/R18 spare?
I wouldn't think so since it appears tough to get a 265/65/R18 BFG KO spare in there...

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

I think you want to look for the user Adrenalinsports. He is one of the few guys in these parts to run 275/65. When I had mine I considered going this high. If you go this large you will want to run rods all the time and trim your horns on the front fender wells. Maybe even some more adjustment after that.

As for the spare under the vehicle, no it will not fit. You will have to use a tire carrier on the rear.

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you want to look for the user Adrenalinsports. He is one of the few guys in these parts to run 275/65. When I had mine I considered going this high. If you go this large you will want to run rods all the time and trim your horns on the front fender wells. Maybe even some more adjustment after that.

As for the spare under the vehicle, no it will not fit. You will have to use a tire carrier on the rear.

Besides Adrenalinsports that was on this forum the link below will take you to a post in Expedition Portal's Land Rover forum. The guy's handle is Floda. This is probably one of the best looking LR4's you will find. He is running 275/70's on Compo's. Said he had no issues. Even has video's out on youtube.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/88485-Discovery-3-(LR3)-and-Discovery-4-(LR4)-Registry?p=1303178#post1303178

Here is a thread he started with more details and interior shots

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/111077-lr4-on-33-quot-tires?highlight=275%2F65

Also, if you search the forum in Expo for 275/65 there are a few threads that come up with guys on LR3's and this tire size.

Attachments

• 2013-03-15 um 15-47-36.jpg
    2013-03-15 um 15-47-36.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members