Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have either of you tried your KO2s in snow? If our plans to go to Sedona in March work out I may get the KO2s sooner and put them on in place of my snow tires. But as we can get a late March or early April snow storm I want to be sure I'll be OK with the KO2s in snow.

Also, any thoughts on what pressure I should use for the rear if I am towing a trailer?

Yes! A few times. As a matter of fact I just took a trip last weekend and drove about 70 miles off road, of which the last 15 miles was pretty bad snow. I was with someone in an LR3 with the original KOs and he did fine as well, though once had to pull him out. I was in snow up to almost 2 feet in places, some packed, some fluffy. I turned traction control off of course and did great, had no problems at all. I was really impressed with these KO2s and have now had them in almost all terrains. No surprise, they are the worst in deep mud, but better than the KOs.

I hope that helps!

As for the pressure, hmmm, I'd say the high 40s?

Regards, David

bullmrkt

Reaction score
Also, any thoughts on what pressure I should use for the rear if I am towing a trailer?

For the KO2 265/60R18's I wouldn't do anything less than 50psi for the rear, maybe 52psi. You can't really go too high (up to 80psi), but at some point the ride will get really stiff.

For other sizes and tires, you have to crunch the numbers for your load and the tires rated capacities at a given pressure.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my new Compo's and BFG KO2's in size 265/60R18 last week and love them so far. I started with them at 44psi front / 50psi rear which made for a jittery ride over broken pavement, so I lowered each value 2psi to 42/48 and the ride became much smoother. Amazing what difference such a small pressure change can make. I'm usually driving the truck by myself unloaded so I'm not worried about the lower pressure. I'll air up 2-4psi when towing or loaded up with my new VIAIR 300p (only $95 on amazon right now BTW).

Oh and I ended up having my tire shop install their TPMS sensors. $60/ea installed so I said why not. They used a special tool to read each of my existing sensors and then upload that program to the new sensors. No issues whatsoever so far.

A few photos. iPhone quality and a couple are overblown so the shadier areas were visible. It looks so much tougher now, love it.

42/48 isn't "lower" at all for a stock LR. It's actually still a bit too high ideally. For that size and not really hauling anything, you'd be best using the door numbers for psi.

bullmrkt

Reaction score
42/48 isn't "lower" at all for a stock LR. It's actually still a bit too high ideally. For that size and not really hauling anything, you'd be best using the door numbers for psi.

No that's incorrect. When going from a standard load (SL) tire to D or E-load rated tire you have to increase pressures for a given load because of the construction of the tire. The heavier construction necessitates higher pressures to maintain the physical form of the heavier, stiffer construction of the tire. In other words, they need more pressure to keep the sidewalls from flexing too much and creating excessive, tire damaging heat at speed. The tire shop said their rule of thumb is 8psi per additional ply. I didn't like that "rule of thumb" so I did some actual calculations. See my post #378 above.

An article on the subject from FourWheeler: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1407-understanding-tire-load-ratings/

"When comparing tires that are the same size/same internal static air volume but have different load ranges, one with a higher load range at higher air pressures actually may have a lower LCC. For example, a P275/65R18 can have a 2,500-pound maximum LCC at 35 psi, whereas an LT275/65R18/C (six-ply rated) might only have a 1,948-pound capacity at its maximum 50 psi. The difference: P versus LT."

Also see the example on page 11 of this Toyo document: https://toyotires2-1524598101.netdn...ication_of_Load_Inflation_Tables_20151020.pdf

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that's incorrect. When going from a standard load (SL) tire to D or E-load rated tire you have to increase pressures for a given load because of the construction of the tire.

Ah, I had thought that size, 265/60x18, was not an E load tire. Makes sense now. Apparently it's the 285/60 that's only a D range thus fewer plies.

Those links are useful for everyone and ought to be in the tires sticky to reduce the over-asked questions on here.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the KO2 265/60R18's I wouldn't do anything less than 50psi for the rear, maybe 52psi. You can't really go too high (up to 80psi), but at some point the ride will get really stiff.

For other sizes and tires, you have to crunch the numbers for your load and the tires rated capacities at a given pressure.

Thanks! Since I'm going with the same as you (265/60R18s) I very much appreciate you doing all the research and analytical work. I'll follow your lead and be sure to increase their PSI a bit when I'm towing.

KY Rover

Reaction score
My wife's 2012 LR4 is set to become my new DD when she upgrades in the next year. I'm really leaning towards running the PD1881's with the 265/65 BFG KO2. Our LR4 is Orkney Grey (very similar to the current Corris Grey). It looks like anthracite and black are the only 2 colors offered in these wheels? Compomotive shows a few pictures of an LR4 sporting the PD1881 wheels in the OEM wheel silver color at the bottom of this page: http://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels.asp?section=pd-30-13
If you scroll through the pictures, you can see that they closely match the LR center caps.

I wish you could order them in that OEM color. I would prefer a silver or grey wheel, and I've never been a huge fan of black wheels. No offense meant to anyone, because I know they're very popular in that color, just not my preference. I'm afraid the anthracite will mimic the body color too closely (and won't match the center caps). Opinions?

Also, where is the link to the center caps that fit the PD1881 wheels? The last time this was asked, I couldn't see where it was answered.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PD1880 I purchased less than 3 years ago were definitely available in silver along with dark grey/anthracite and satin black. They might still be available as a special order from the UK, you should probably send Barry at Compomotive an email to inquire. I think silver Compos would look great on a dark grey body, unless you have a black pack going. They'd match side vents and front grille finishes.

Last edited:

tony102385

Reaction score
New comps and bfg ko2's. 265/65/18.

picture.php

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New comps and bfg ko2's. 265/65/18.

picture.php

I know, I know. This question has been asked a zillion times. But once again...

Tony, ANY issues with fit when going to full lock in regular or offroad mode? I am less concerned about Access mode as I rarely use it and even then it is when I am parked to make it easier for my mother-in-law or when loading/unloading. Did you need to do ANY mods or lift to make these tires work. I am very likely to go to the KO2s in February and am back and forth on the the 60's or 65's. The 65's are a no-brainer IF they fit.

For you an other with these tires - if you did a bit of "lift" with the IIDTool - how much did you need in "Normal" suspensions height? A half inch or less I could live with (once I can figure out how to make it work.) But I hesitate to go beyond that given that the truck was engineered for highway use with its default height.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72