Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tony102385

Reaction score
The picture shows stock normal ride height. No rubbing at all in any mode. Do the 65's. I wanted to go bigger but I am very happy with the look.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where are you going to put your spare?
I like the combo, and the color, looks sharp.. If it was me, I'd probably lift it 3/4"-1" with the gap tool with that size tire.

tony102385

Reaction score
I left the original spare for emergency only. Our car insurance cover roadside and since we live on a island we can't go to far anyway.

gghaggis

Reaction score
The 265/65R18 will fit in the spare area if fully deflated (ie remove the valve!) and you remove the fibreglass heat-shield. Good luck getting the tow receiver in though!

The size will rub the front of the rear wheel well liner when at full articulation.

Cheers,

Gordon

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 265/65R18 will fit in the spare area if fully deflated (ie remove the valve!) and you remove the fibreglass heat-shield. Good luck getting the tow receiver in though!

The size will rub the front of the rear wheel well liner when at full articulation.

Cheers,

Gordon

Does that rear tire rubbing disappear when raised to off road height? Does it disappear if I set the normal height a half inch higher using GAP's IIDTool?

gghaggis

Reaction score
No, tbe rubbing occurs when the wheel is at maximum articulation ie pushed up all the way into the wheel well. Playing with the static heights doesn't affect the wheel travel (although it's harder to make the wheel travel that far).

Cheers

Gordon

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you air suspensions are fully articulating / compressed (front tires also rubs a little at full steering lock, at least my 285/60/18s do, the noise from the rubbing is particularly noticeable when reversing for some reason...), you will rub against the wheel well liner. Where your suspensions height is set when you start - off-road height, raised with IIDTool or modified rods, etc. - doesn't really matter as you only lose a bit of upward articulation / extension, not the other way around. Your wheels will still get tucked almost all the way into their respective wells when fully compressed. The rubbing is fairly minimal however, only occurs under those "extreme" conditions and lessens over time as your tire tread wears out. If you off-road regularly, chances are your liners will show signs of wear in those couple of spots, sometimes they may even perforate. That's OK though, they are just sheets of plastic.

KY Rover

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a consistent answer as to whether 265/85R18's rub or not. Some users report no rubbing whatsoever, but there are others that report minimal rubbing. Perhaps it is slight variations in vehicles and tires?

bullmrkt

Reaction score
If you tow, the clearance behind the spare for the hitch receiver is a factor. Obviously many are making the 265/65's and 285/60's fit deflated, but here's how close mine is with a 1" smaller 265/60.

Attachments

• IMG_3135.jpg
    IMG_3135.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 109

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you tow, the clearance behind the spare for the hitch receiver is a factor. Obviously many are making the 265/65's and 285/60's fit deflated, but here's how close mine is with a 1" smaller 265/60.

Do you also keep your heat shield attached?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72