Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great choice of wheels and tires, you are pretty much ready for some serious dirt! Not a big fan of the white letters "out" myself - a bit too Jeepster for my taste... ;) - but if I was going to show off the white letters I'd want to do it on a white car as well.

Marcelo Antunes

Reaction score
Hi All.
There is a lot on this thread but I will put in my two pennies worth after two years with my LR4. And yes - I have NOT read every post, it goes on forever - but very valuable information :)

LR4, ALMOST EXCLUSIVLY ON ROAD and DESERT SAND DRIVING - WHEELS and TYRES CHOICES

For sand driving in a 2013 LR4 with no bodywork mods (wheel arches etc).
After extensive research, I find the following combination to be very good (arguably the best and most simple to fit and manage?)

1: Compomotive 18 inch rims with 32 inch tyres. 285/60R18 fit and just rub at certain suspension settings under high compression loads (rear only rubs, not the front). No rubbing under normal road driving with normal suspension setting (unless possibly a very heavy load and a large bump - I never had it though).

2: LLAMS suspension over-ride module. Quite easy to fit, and EXTREMELY easy to adjust as an when required, just turn a knob. Just don't fit it where your knee can knock it - or whenever your wife goes shopping the darn thing is on full suspension height whenever she comes back home...

Tyres, I happened to choose Dunlop Grandtrek AT22, which are fine for road and sand. (Or was it AT23.. hmm .. cant quite remember right now).. anyway they are fine. Strong, durable, even did some rocks and they were good afterwards).

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Colorover, I think you'd be happy with the DuraTrac then. They're rated for severe weather and have lots of sipes (and look awesome). The only thing is when you have to slam on the brakes they're very soft so the truck might move slightly right or left (fortunately it doesn't happen often and I'm talking going from 95mph or above to pretty much stopped).
As I said I was completely satisfied with them and the only reason I switched to R2s was because there's little off-roading to do here and we will go a few times up to Quebec City.

Thanks Axel. Will try and stay under 95! ;)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure my LR4 has even ever been past 90...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine at the limiter of 210kmh (130mph) a few times. (Middle East 4 lane with barriers empty roads in the desert) It handles surprisingly well at those speeds. The wind noise is something else though.

I keep it under 90/95 mph these days though with BFG KO2 tires. Big all-terrain tires have much lower R or S speed ratings, which is 106 / 112mph respectively. The stock 19" Continentals have a V rating of 149 mph.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine topped a few times too. How I miss Germany sometimes.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's crazy what people perceive as "speed" from country to country. I just got back from a trip to the UK and was reminded how nice it is there. I was regularly doing around 90mph just to keep up with traffic flow on the M1. There were people still passing. If you were doing under 80mph, you were a massive obstacle in the road for the flow of traffic!

**Sorry to derail this thread.

UtahLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snapseed.jpg

The _Just

Reaction score
I have skimmed the thread but didn't see this addressed - any experience with Duratracs in the snow? I have been running GY Silent Armors and they've been great, but was thinking of trying the Duratracs since the SA is no longer in production (haven't heard much about its replacement either.)
I've used KO2 & Duratrac on my '13 Raptor. The DuraTracs were far and away better in all circumstances other than tread life and MPG, neither of which I care much about. The look is great too! I'm sorting out the details to put 18 Dura's on the LR4 that should be arriving next week.

About me: lots of wet pavement driving. Some Mt Snow, off road.

IMG_20160509_142512599.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM