Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch is still a plow.

Was referring to mounting hitch with large tire stowed under. The new hitch protrudes into the spare tire space so it's either one or the other. Not both.

As for larger tires a swing away is ideal but not everyone has one nor wants one.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hitch is still a plow.

Was referring to mounting hitch with large tire stowed under. The new hitch protrudes into the spare tire space so it's either one or the other. Not both.

As for larger tires a swing away is ideal but not everyone has one nor wants one.

It is not necessarily "one or the other".
You can place your spare under the truck ( 265/65/18 in my case), then attach LR hitch. Of course you will have to remove the hitch to access your spare, but it is easy and quick. Incovenient?., yes but how often do you have to do this?. I do not tow but you still will have to disattach a trailer before jacking up the car and changing a tire, so removing LR hitch at this point adds 15 secs to the process.
For me more hassle is removing a bike rack when going to a car wash. The good thing is 1upUSA rack is "user friendly".

0513170725.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^what hevsaid ;) see, 31.5 fits with the hitch. Much larger of tire won't fit under there regardless

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
max tyre dimensions are on a LR4 when you adopt the strictest criteria: NO MODS and NO RUBBING (or only very slight) in ACCESS HEIGHT

Hey Navi, someone here should know. It's been so long since I first went to 265/65-18 that I cannot remember. You also will have to specify if you're using just factory 19 or 20" wheels, and or if you're using 18" with or without spacers. The spacer/offset dramatically affects the tire you can use in full turning on access height.

My memory says that in order to use larger than 285/60-18 I had to have the 'frame horns' cut back. This is for when I changed up to 265/65-18. Both of those were on factory 18 which of course fit right onto an lr3.

For you to use 18 it would be simplest to have the compomotive unless the factory 18 works with a spacer of 25-30mm. I would not recommend one of these thicker spacers people claim to be screwing around with. Keep in mind 1" = 25.4mm so I'm talking about a 1"-1.25" roughly equivalent. H&R makes really nice ones in both those sizes.

So, if you were to compare the 18" 285/60 to 20" equivalent, for example, it would be a 285/50-20 which would in fact, fit fine on your LR4 in access, etc full turning functioning fine. I can say these sizes because I have used them first in Nitto Terra Grappler 18 and then Toyo Proxes ST in the 20". These were both on my 2006 lr3 which never had any modifications, only these tire changes.

It wasn't until the following year in my 2007 lr3 that I went crazy with the mods - well before these now well known mods had nicknames and before hardly anyone had tried them.

I think the tires above must be right around 31" which is why they fit while still looking more appropriately sized to the vehicle scale.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reposting after I mistakenly wrote this in another thread:

OK, so far I’ve only read ⅓ of this thread, the beginning and the end, so perhaps the answer to my question is contained in the part I’m still working on, sorry... But I would like to know what the max tyre dimensions are on a LR4 when you adopt the strictest criteria: NO MODS and NO RUBBING (or only very slight) in ACCESS HEIGHT. I mean, I’d love to get bigger AT or even MT shoes but I also go in low underground garages pretty often and have to manoeuvre in them...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About 0.05" gained. We are almost literally splitting hair, I think you would be happy with either sizes, they will both fit fine over the 8x18" rims available for the LR4. The 265s bulge out less than the 285s and have a smaller contact patch on the ground, which may yield fractionally better gas mileage and could be a plus - or a minus - off road, depending on the terrain you are negotiating.

I most definitely did NOT call .05 "appreciable" You misread or I misunderstood what I was responding to...

-

LOL, you misread what I said. The "appreciable" gain is from stock size 255/60-18, in either of these larger choices 285/60-18 and 265/65-18. Not between each other ;)

I was trying to point out that either one is plenty more to start out with not requiring any mods. Guess I'll have to type more redundantly ;)

Crap, I didn't mean to reply to a really old post either. I'm going to sleep instead...

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I think the tires above must be right around 31" which is why they fit while still looking more appropriately sized to the vehicle scale.

Just for all the newcomers' info:

265/65/18 is 31.6" diameter / 10.4" width
285/60/18 is 31.5" diameter / 11.2" width

As you can see, both are near identical to and what is considered max diameter for these trucks without mods. Anything beyond 31.5" diameter and you really start running into issues with the frame horns.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for all the newcomers' info:

265/65/18 is 31.6" diameter / 10.4" width
285/60/18 is 31.5" diameter / 11.2" width

As you can see, both are near identical to and what is considered max diameter for these trucks without mods. Anything beyond 31.5" diameter and you really start running into issues with the frame horns.

However, one has to take into consideration that tire brands and builds are not all the same resulting sizes even though the printed numbers would suggest as such.

For example, my bfg at / ta ko tires have all been smaller than say a Goodyear Duratrac or my highway Michelin MS2. The supposedly 32" 275/65-18 is really more like 31.5 so similarly, the supposedly 31.5 265/65-18 isn't really a full amount either. I've found the section and tread widths to be fairly accurate though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM