Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have skimmed the thread but didn't see this addressed - any experience with Duratracs in the snow? I have been running GY Silent Armors and they've been great, but was thinking of trying the Duratracs since the SA is no longer in production (haven't heard much about its replacement either.)

Stealther

Reaction score
Well after US Customs decided I paid too little and decided to double tax me I got my Compos in. Opened one of the up to test fit the center cap and it fits pretty snug. I might try a little tape to just tighten it a little but pretty good fit!

Tires go on in the morning!

IMG_3319.JPG

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have skimmed the thread but didn't see this addressed - any experience with Duratracs in the snow? I have been running GY Silent Armors and they've been great, but was thinking of trying the Duratracs since the SA is no longer in production (haven't heard much about its replacement either.)

I also have Silent Armors, but I wouldn't call them great in snow.. they are good, but no better than a good all season. I'm about to drop off my 19"s today to get Blizzak DM-V2 put on (in 255/55R19).

From what I have read though, the duratracs are not as good in wet/snow as SA's

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on my experience the DuraTrac were great in snow and ice. Not a winter dedicated tire obviously but totally fine if you know how to drive and also depending on where you live. I took mine to Colorado and other places in the Southwest in winter without any trouble.
That being said being in Central NY now I just mounted some Nokians.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I live in Denver and the weather can range from very warm in the winter to 1-2 feet of snow. Where there is snow it tends to be dry, not heavy/slushy although that does sometimes happen. I don't want to do dedicated snow tires, hence my question. Looking for an AT tire that works well in snow. I am a big fan of Nokian for both dedicated snows (R2) and snow oriented all season (WRG3), but doesn't seem like much positive reviews for the Rotiiva, which seems like their AT tire. The SA's have been good, just curious if there was a better option and had considered the Duratracs. For size, I am doing 265-60-18.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_20161110_141228_zpszk1nxjmm.jpg

Well, the stock wheels are not too bad.. i hardly had them on it long before I put the black compo's on it.

The tires are only a little smaller, like an inch, but man does it make them look small (the combination of 19" vs 18" wheel, plus the 1" diam in rubber).

My 7 year old daughter called them 'cute'.... 0h jeez.

Well.. it will be good in the snow. Saw the KO2s in the store also... those will go on the compos in the spring I think.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Colorover, I think you'd be happy with the DuraTrac then. They're rated for severe weather and have lots of sipes (and look awesome). The only thing is when you have to slam on the brakes they're very soft so the truck might move slightly right or left (fortunately it doesn't happen often and I'm talking going from 95mph or above to pretty much stopped).
As I said I was completely satisfied with them and the only reason I switched to R2s was because there's little off-roading to do here and we will go a few times up to Quebec City.

Stealther

Reaction score
Some quick photos at different heights, dirty still some blue protectant on the lettering etc. I was wrestling with white or black out and I'm glad I went white!

BFG KO2 265/65/18s

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks great. i like the white lettering also, but I scrapped up my sidewalls so bad on my Silent Armours that I almost wish I had gone black. The white looks like crap now.

Stealther

Reaction score
That looks great. i like the white lettering also, but I scrapped up my sidewalls so bad on my Silent Armours that I almost wish I had gone black. The white looks like crap now.

Are the SA's white on both sides? I guess if the white gets messed up I could always flip them around and the black lettering is on the other side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM