Finally!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
End of an Era; Start of a New One

Finally; Pictures

Both in Oak Creek Canyon.

I'm still very defensive with the LR4.
There were some pigeons flying nearby one morning.
I know shotgun blasts at 5am can be unnerving......but
There IS the concept of Sovereign Airspace....
And they were too close....better to be safe.....:wink:

Seriously, I'm loving the LR4. Nice to be reading about the features and then trying them out. I think I even have my wife convinced that I don't need running boards.....since the LR4 has 'Access Height'.

Hope you're all enjoying yours; and for those still waiting.....it will be worth the wait.

PS: I'm keeping the shotgun in the truck; Chevy Blazer's are the 'pigeons' of the auto world.....

Attachments

• NewDuck_s1.jpg
    NewDuck_s1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 50
  • OldDuck_s.jpg
    OldDuck_s.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really cool pictures zenphx.
Congrats on the truck.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally; Pictures

Both in Oak Creek Canyon.

I'm still very defensive with the LR4.
There were some pigeons flying nearby one morning.
I know shotgun blasts at 5am can be unnerving......but
There IS the concept of Sovereign Airspace....
And they were too close....better to be safe.....:wink:

Seriously, I'm loving the LR4. Nice to be reading about the features and then trying them out. I think I even have my wife convinced that I don't need running boards.....since the LR4 has 'Access Height'.

Hope you're all enjoying yours; and for those still waiting.....it will be worth the wait.

PS: I'm keeping the shotgun in the truck; Chevy Blazer's are the 'pigeons' of the auto world.....

Looks great, Zenphx. Is Oak Canyon that road that runs from Flagstaff to Sedona? I'm guessing from your handle that you are from AZ. We drove through Oak Canyon this last March on our way to Tucson. (A bit of a side trip.) We like the area and intend to explore it a bit more next winter.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. We did a "Great Divide" trip with Off Roving 3 years in a row. Mid-late August. Beautiful time of year to go. Here's a group shot, so you get an idea of the group and vehicles. Mostly modern era Rovers, and some older ones.

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg
Hey Boaz, is that Resolution Point?

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Dan. It parallells I17 as it goes through The Village of Oak Creek, then Sedona, then Oak Creek Canyon. It is Route 89A. Right now the switchbacks at the north end of the Canyon (climbing the rim on the way to Flagstaff) are closed. There was a major fire in the canyon that has just been contained. Most of it burned up on the rim so little direct impact in the canyon. The Arizona Monsoons are yet to start though; and with the cover burned off (> 20,000 acres!), there may be flooding in the canyon coming up in the next few months. We've been spending summers up here for many years and it's as close to 'The Colorado Rockies' as you can come here in AZ....on a much smaller scale.
If you come through in the summer, and we're here, let me know. I'll show you the neat set of cabins where we stay. They're called 'The Forest Houses' (www.foresthousesresort.com). My photos were taken at the entrance to the property.

Steve

Last edited:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Boaz, is that Resolution Point?

No, that was Red Cone Peak. The reason for the backup is that we were waiting to descend the steepest part down the other side. Piece of cake for our Hill Descent Control though...

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0489.jpg

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
congratulations Dan!

Funny, I was concerned about sleeping in the back, as well and felt the same about the LC.

LUX trim. Ordered end of January. Received yesterday.

As for the Land Cruiser, I started this process believing that is what I wanted. Had one about 15 years ago. Loved it. But the interior layout matters to me - and they haven't moved it forward. That was the biggest issue as we intend to camp and "operate" out of the back of this thing.

(A funny story. One of the first things my wife did when looking over the LR4 yesterday was to make all the seats flat and then lay down to see how it would work with sleeping bags/mats if we were camping. And we're both in our '60's. I love my wife!) The point is that the use of interior space was big for us. The Land Cruiser had some features that would have been nice. And vice versa.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Bhos, I would not have been able to do this in a Land Cruiser. And I'm not a tall person. A couple pics of how I set up my sleeping arrangement in the back of the truck. Not as fancy as those who build a platform but it worked great. And a pic of one of my campsites as I drove through Oregon.

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 60

zenphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great photos, Dan.
I remember hiking through a dense pine forest in Oregon; and suddenly reaching a very extensive and flat beach. Seeing the ocean like that took my breath away.
Except for a little problem they have with tides, it would have been a great place to camp/sleep.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72