First Gremlin - Now I feel part of the club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same sound in mine. Mines a 2014 lux. It did quit making the sound about a month ago for a couple days but during the time the sound was gone I got a charging system fault that disabled the ECO feature. The fault only lasted for a couple days and disappeared by itself. When the fault disappeared the sound returned.

I had the sound disappear again yesterday for a couple trips around town and the ECO feature had a fault and was automatically disabled at the same time. It could not be enabled by pressing ECO the button. When I started it this morning the fault was gone and the sound was back.

The other thing that I found was common about both of these faults with the sound disappearing was they both happened after driving in the rain and seemed to correct themselves when things had time to dry.

Just my observation. It will be raining here all day tomorrow so I'll have an opportunity see if it happens again.

Thanks, Ziggy. Thus far all of us appear to be 2014's but not all are LUX. And if it isn't happening on the 2014's then it could be something that was introduced with the 2014. The eco start/stop would be a good example.

Dan

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Ziggy. Thus far all of us appear to be 2014's but not all are LUX. And if it isn't happening on the 2014's then it could be something that was introduced with the 2014. The eco start/stop would be a good example.

Dan

...or the SCV6 engine? ;-)

Hopefully, it's not something major.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...or the SCV6 engine? ;-)

Hopefully, it's not something major.

Doesn't sound like an engine thing. More like the sound you get from some kitchen appliances when they are finished - though not a "beep". In fact, I noticed this morning that my toaster oven makes a similar but shorter sound when it has finished its cooking cycle. Hey, maybe these things include a toaster oven and I haven't found it yet.

It seem to me that it is more likely to come from the audio system. Either the new Meridian system or maybe whatever system puts out warning signals.

BTW, I am going to go to a hand car wash today to get the dirt off from Saturday's drive and to see if I notice any leaks. I want to see if I can recreate what Ziggy is experiencing.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like an engine thing. More like the sound you get from some kitchen appliances when they are finished - though not a "beep". In fact, I noticed this morning that my toaster oven makes a similar but shorter sound when it has finished its cooking cycle. Hey, maybe these things include a toaster oven and I haven't found it yet.

It seem to me that it is more likely to come from the audio system. Either the new Meridian system or maybe whatever system puts out warning signals.

BTW, I am going to go to a hand car wash today to get the dirt off from Saturday's drive and to see if I notice any leaks. I want to see if I can recreate what Ziggy is experiencing.
I actually sort of heard this noise on my LR2 loaner car last Friday - which had a Meridian sound system. I thought the sound system was excellent, but I sort of remember this slight whine or something, though I didn't think anything of it until now. Maybe it is the sound system?

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just met/spoke to a neighbor who has an 18-month old LR4. (We had not met before but had a great chat and I am sure will compare LR4 experiences going forward.) Anyway, he said he had a similar noise when he first got his LR4 but it has mostly disappeared. The service guys told him it was "inadequate" shielding for the radio cables. Sometimes they would pick up noise from the engine. We'll see.

BTW, I also told him about our forum. He swapped out his Contis for Scorpions and though he loves them he said he is burning through them really fast. He's not a big off road person. But plenty of snow going skiing in the winter. I told him to check out this forum. Plenty of tire discussion! LOL

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just met/spoke to a neighbor who has an 18-month old LR4. (We had not met before but had a great chat and I am sure will compare LR4 experiences going forward.) Anyway, he said he had a similar noise when he first got his LR4 but it has mostly disappeared. The service guys told him it was "inadequate" shielding for the radio cables. Sometimes they would pick up noise from the engine. We'll see.

BTW, I also told him about our forum. He swapped out his Contis for Scorpions and though he loves them he said he is burning through them really fast. He's not a big off road person. But plenty of snow going skiing in the winter. I told him to check out this forum. Plenty of tire discussion! LOL
That's very cool you started chatting with your neighbor. I have talked to a few local people as well, but 98% of Land Rover owners in this area have zero desire to modify or actually talk about their Land Rover. Once in a while I get a wave from some folks driving older Discoveries, but hardly ever from LR3/LR4 people. Around here, I get more friendly conversation from FJ Cruiser guys.

We do tend to like to talk about tires - haha! :)

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely heard the noise this morning. The radio was on, but not loud. I was at a stop light waiting to turn left. ECO mode was on and had kicked in while I was at the light. When the light turned green I took my foot off the brake, the engine fired up, and I began to move at a normal pace (not fast). That's when I heard the noise. It lasted for about three seconds until I let up off of the accelerator a bit. I don't know if my letting off the accelerator had anything to do with the noise going away or not. Next time I'll try to stay steady on the gas.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start paying closer attention to the radio when the engine starts up after being in eco-mode. I drove around a fair bit yesterday with the radio on and didn't hear a thing.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also noticed that the cover over the manual key hole on my driver door handle seems loose. Any tricks to getting that thing to be more secure? My dealer warned me that it can be easily damaged and then it will just fall off.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely heard the noise this morning. The radio was on, but not loud. I was at a stop light waiting to turn left. ECO mode was on and had kicked in while I was at the light. When the light turned green I took my foot off the brake, the engine fired up, and I began to move at a normal pace (not fast). That's when I heard the noise. It lasted for about three seconds until I let up off of the accelerator a bit. I don't know if my letting off the accelerator had anything to do with the noise going away or not. Next time I'll try to stay steady on the gas.

Just dropped off my LR4 to have some accessories installed this morning and discussed this noise with the lead service guy. (Very sharp. Drives a Discovery.) He said that very high pitched whine may be associated with the harmonics coming from the transmission when it meshes at certain speeds. This is something that has shown up in various models that not in every vehicle. He is seen it a number of times over the past few years. They have even swapped out transmissions for owners under warranty to try and address it and sometimes it ends up being a bit worse. There is usually a sweet spot in the combination of gears, load on the vehicle at the time given this gear or that, etc. It would be unique to each vehicle. So he suggested I closely monitor speed, engine/tranny load, duration, etc.

I don't necessarily think that is it but the next time it shows up I will try to recreate it by finding that sweet spot. Just so we can confirm or eliminate that particular issue.

One question - do you have the HD (dual stage transfer case) or the single-stage tranny?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM