Flat Battery 2012 Discovery HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cofroad

Reaction score
Over the Christmas period I did not use my Discovery for about 12 days as we had family staying. When I did go to take the car out of the garage the battery was completely flat, even the clock stopped, so I had to use the emergency key to enter the car and lift the bonnet. This was not easy task as the car was driven in forwards and the passenger side of my garage has very little room, hence asking someone a bit smaller than me to pull the bonnet catch. I do own an emergency battery pack and this was ok to give power to unlock the driver’s door but was not strong enough to start the car. I could not move the car out of the garage as it was in park and the gear lever did not move up. Only way now to start the car was to call Land Rover Assistance. Great service someone arrived within a short period in a Discovery, he however could not start the car with a battery pack and resorted to using extra long jump leads to his Discovery which worked a treat (I have now bought a set from Costco). He had no idea why the battery was flat as no discharge was found when he monitored it. Next step was a visit to the dealer as I was a bit concerned that if I parked for instance at an airport for a while the same thing could happen again.
The night before the car was due in I scanned the Internet and yes there were many problems of flat batteries but not on such a new Discovery. I then read a flat battery report of someone hanging his keys in the hall next to the garage and he was informed this could have made the battery flat.
What had I done! Moved into a bedroom downstairs next to the garage and placed both sets of keys on a dressing table adjacent to the garage wall, not quite under my pillow. The following morning when I was due to take the car in I went into the garage without any keys and was able to unlock the passenger door. When I phoned the dealer to explain I was told to still bring the car in and they would check it out. They concluded that leaving the keys where I did would allow the Discovery to sense the keys and start certain electrical things going and would never shut down properly, this had been the case for at least 10 days.
At least I did find out the reason for the flat battery and also got my car cleaned inside and out by the dealer, which was a pleasant surprise.
So the message is be aware where you leave your keys if you don’t use the car for an extended period.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interesting story, thanks so much for sharing as this is definitely a plausible reason for so many mysteriously dying batteries out there. Those stupid keyless fobs, I still think they were the solution to a problem that never existed. However, they introduced a gazillion problems of their own.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting find for sure! And while I agree with you Uber, I will never own a car that doesnt have convenience entry as a daily driver... yes I have succomed to the lazy efforts of hating to dig into my pockets for keys.....

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would really suck if that happened in my garage. I park the passenger side right up against the wall. I will have to be sure not to lock it!

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just when you think you have just heard it all, something like this comes out! A few months ago, my wife's 2011 LR2 keep giving us problems with dead batteries, after all the typical reasons were given, from leaving the head lights on, the inside lights on, LR battery gnomes draining the power at night, and so on..... The solution came out as a bulletin, 2011 and 2012 LR's had a computer bug which will cause the bluetooth to stay connected after you turn the engine off and remove the key (LR2). I noticed also that on my 2010 LR4 I can walk away from the truck and the damn phone still connects to the truck. They updated the computer fix and 4 months later no problem yet. I just find hard to believe the key excuse, but with these things you just never know.

cofroad

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Another forum has suggested the metal box or tin foil, good idea and particularly good for security if you are camping and sleeping close to the car. I was however advised by both the breakdown guy and the dealer to always lock the car as leaving it unlocked will also drain the battery as the car does not shut down properly. I hope the key solution was right seems to coincidental after 9 month of owning that this should happen the only time the keys were near, however must admit I had never left the car so long without driving.

backtoLR

Reaction score
I also had a problem with my battery on a 2012 LR4 HSE. After a complete flat battery, my service department figured out the reason: drawing 0.5 Amp constantly. The Amp and the battery were replaced under warranty and various software was updated. So far so good.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Another forum has suggested the metal box or tin foil, good idea and particularly good for security if you are camping and sleeping close to the car. I was however advised by both the breakdown guy and the dealer to always lock the car as leaving it unlocked will also drain the battery as the car does not shut down properly. I hope the key solution was right seems to coincidental after 9 month of owning that this should happen the only time the keys were near, however must admit I had never left the car so long without driving.

This seems counterintuitive to me as the alarm/locking would now be turned on, searching for the right signal from the FOB. Would be kind of odd to have the lr4 dead in my garage next to the d90. The battle of who's battery can drain the fastest...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prjagman