Freakin' Leakin'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 97 Disco is leaking transmission looking fluid from the engine area like a *****. I have noticed it for the past few months, but I don't remember it leaking like this before, but it might have been leaking all along. My power steering reserve goes down over time, so I'm thinking it's that. I'm going to replace the clamps today and put in this lucas power steering leak fix, but what if that doesn't solve the dripping problem? What if it's coming from somewhere else? How do I find where it's coming from if it's not the power steering hoses? I'm getting in trouble because it's staining the driveway... although that can be cleaned, it's just a hassle and it doesn't solve the leaking problem.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Power steering is the normal leaking location... could also be the cooler lines for the transmission.

Cleaning driveway, buy some cheap kitty litter and put on old boots and shuffle until marks are gone.

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an excellent way cleaning driveway - lol - I also keep a little litter on the spot my rover likes to drip. Nothing major, just a little drip from week to week. Sure keeps the cleanup easy...

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so maybe just spinkle some litter on the spot I park? I put some leak stop fluid in today, so I'll see if that helps but from the looks of it... EVERYTHING seems to be leaking something lol. The entire underbody of my discovery has drips.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A Rover is a Harley with 4 wheels.... if it stops leaking your out of fluids.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha nice... I'll use that line next time I get chewed out about all the drips

C

carolina4wd

No kidding. I've had my D1 for 3 years and my driveway is way past the kitty litter solution. Or even the 6.5 HP pressure washer solution...

I've spent the entire 3 years and 35k miles (97k to 132k) trying to find and fix leaks as well as trying to stop the smoking at 3k RPM +.

One thing I've found recently is that the power steering reservoir is leaking like mad and getting in the air intake. Who knows if that is making a difference but my K&N was soaked with black s**t. All of my oil cooler lines leak like crazy but I haven't gotten around to spending the $400 at A.B. and replacing all of them.

I can't tell for sure if the head gaskets are leaking but there is oil, etc all over the block just below the heads - front and rear of the block. I know my truck had a valve job at about 85k.

Any ideas from the rambling above?

By the way... which ABS fuse did you pull? I pulled the one under the dash and it triggers my check engine light after a while. No big deal I just have to reset it with the OBDII computer.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I pulled the 30 amp fuse in the fuse block under the hood near the battery.

Power steering leak is either the real cheap hose clamps ($2 fix), replace with new clamps, or just needs some Lucas transmission fix (remember the PS on the Rovers takes transmission fluid.

Oil cooler lines $400 ouch, when you have a few days down time, remove them and take to your local hydraulic shop, and have them make a custom set probably around $100.

isr2kba

Reaction score
remember the PS on the Rovers takes transmission fluid.

What is the consequence of using PS fluid? My PS groans quite a bit and isn't smooth. I suspect one of the previous owners probably used it because the fluid isn't red.

Drain the best I can and refill? Or is it more complicated than that.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
drain the best and refill.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member