Freelander Spooky Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarlonF

Reaction score
Forgive me for posting this here, but I looked around and didn't see a Freelander thread?

I have a 2004 Freelander. It has two perplexing leaks I was hoping someone on this forum might have some insight into.

1. After driving for 10 minutes or more and parking, a few moments later the car spits out a few table spoons of a clear liquid onto the ground around mid engine. There was a coolant leak in a different place after the last service that they took two visits to fix. While the coolant reservoir always looks low to me, this seems to be water that's coming out. In the summer I shrugged it off to the A/C dripping, but I haven't been using the A/C at all! Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

2. Last weekend I changed the brake pads and rotors. I opened the brake fluid reservoir, jacked up the driver's side and changed it all without bleeding the brakes. I merely pressed the brake piston back, careful to make sure the fluid didn't overflow. It never got close.

Next I jacked up the left side and repeated the procedure. However, after I pressed the brake piston back, on the right side about 1/4 cup of brake fluid (brown light weight slippery stuff) dripped out! The drip came from up above the under tray, not anywhere near the brake lines on the caliper. I initially thought I stressed and cracked a brake line while suspending it to work on the rotors, but the leak was no where near where I was working.
I checked the brake fluid reservoir and saw that the fluid was nowhere near the top.

I put everything back together and it has seemed fine all week. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have!

~Marlon
P.S. If there is a Freelander Post, please let me know and I'll move this post to the appropriate thread.

Shermie

Reaction score
Freelanders suffer from chronic dexcool leaks as the Heater Cores tend to leak. Also the Thermostat is a classic place for coolant leaks, this requires that the complete Intake Manifold assembly be changed. You should smell hot dexcool and if you look under the intake manifold (the large plastic cover with the air filter unit revoved) you can see if the car has a leaking thermostat, there will be dried-up and caked Dexcool coolant.

As far as your brake problem, I cannot see where clear fluid is coming from, unless it's brake fluid. Maybe your problem is in the drive train that uses a silicon based LR liquid.

In any case your issues appear to be typical Freelander ill's, my car has had almost every imaginable Freelander problem in existence. Let me know if this helps.

Be aware that a leaky heater core will eventually damage your AC blower motor, and this is all part of a $2000 assembly. My LR dealer replaced the AC blower motor and removed the heater core, bypassing with a hose. I live in the tropics so we never use the heater anyhow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72