freeze plug leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a water leak around the engine block close around the heads. I have no coolant in my oil and there's no white smoke coming out of my tail pipe. The leak is on the driver side right under the manifold. Looks like its running down and dripping on the manifold. Its a small leak....I thinking it might be a freeze plug leak. I hope it is then that will mean the heads gasket might be fine. Does anyone know how many freeze plugs are on that side. And if it is a freeze plug leak can I replace it without taking out the engine. Thanks for your feed back 99 disco1 SD 127,000:confused:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a head gasket leak, I'll bet money on it.

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a head gasket leak, I'll bet money on it.

I was thinking the same thing mike. So you don't think it could be a freeze plug. I drive it to work most of the time. If it is the heads...should I stop driving it before any more damage. I will find out were the leak is coming from and keep you posted. Thanks!!! 99disco1 SD 127000

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the head gasket, it will only get worse and some point just blow, then there goes the engine.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Are You Going To Do This Yourself Or Have A Shop Do It. If A Shop, Get Estimates Before You Sign And Get Back To Us With Them.

Taytum98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Are You Going To Do This Yourself Or Have A Shop Do It. If A Shop, Get Estimates Before You Sign And Get Back To Us With Them.

Im going to take it to a shop I will keep you guys posted when I get the estimates Thanks!! 99 disco1 SD 127,000

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let them charge you over 11 hours of labor per the shop rate manual and in total, less head work and a new set of 8mm plug wires, not more then $1500.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72