Front brake pads on 2013LR4 funny looking weight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1flynDO

Reaction score
So I replaced the pads all the way around on the LR4 yesterday. EBC sent me what looked to me a normal pad. The OEM pads had a approximately 1cm diameter and 1 cm tall.

Two questions. 1st is what the hell is this? 2nd I replaced the pads is this going to be a problem?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Rico

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you either are missing a picture or missing words that allow me to understand what you are talking about.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand you right, you are talking abut the solid metal cylinder that is on the back side of the brake pads. If I had to guess, it's something to attenuate resonance in the pad.

My new EBC brake pads did not have anything similar, but I have had no issues with them 4,000 miles later.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have them on my EBC green box, and it is a basically a counter weight to reduce squeaks, and brake noise.

DTXRover

Reaction score
The placement of the cylinder weight should be mounted in the outer position on either side and towards the top of the rotor when mounted on the vehicle. See the attched picture, while it's not the best picture, the OEM pads are labeled accordingly.

Attachments

• Brake Pad Placement.JPG
    Brake Pad Placement.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 32

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand you right, you are talking abut the solid metal cylinder that is on the back side of the brake pads. If I had to guess, it's something to attenuate resonance in the pad.

My new EBC brake pads did not have anything similar, but I have had no issues with them 4,000 miles later.
Ryan, what color / part number EBC pads are you using?

And yes, the cylinder on the OE/dealer and OEM/Ferodo pads is a weight that is a vibration damper.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So essentially throw an extra mass on it to change the resonant frequency! Was this a post design fix? Lexus used to do this regularly for NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, what color / part number EBC pads are you using?

And yes, the cylinder on the OE/dealer and OEM/Ferodo pads is a weight that is a vibration damper.

Oh man. That post was almost 7 years ago. I think I was using the green pads, but no idea of the part number.

Nevermind. Just searched my email history. DP62060 6000 Series.

After that, I swore by Hawk brake pads for a bit, and now I'm using Ferodo.

I think next week will be my 8th anniversary of owning my LR4.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After that, I swore by Hawk brake pads for a bit, and now I'm using Ferodo.
I've only used Ferodo (OEM) so far, and only had to install one set of front pads. It needs rotors though, we've had a slight vibration since buying in early 2017 but it hasn't been bad enough to replace everything - yet.

I think next week will be my 8th anniversary of owning my LR4.
Sweet! We are coming up on the 7th anniversary, on Feb-1, 2017... 111kmi then, 150kmi today.

:rock:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ferodo front right vibrates or squeaks. Strange how one front side squeals and the other doesn't. Its quiet when cold too. I'm wondering if the pad clips are tweaked, the vibration damper weight is upside and outside.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM