Front Bumper Ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a non -winch front brush guard for my 2000 DI, I wonder, is there a way to safely mount a winch if I want one? any ideas?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. I think in order to make it winch-compatible you'd have to do some serious cutting to make a tray for the winch, and you'd have to do it in such a way as to not lose structural strength (reinforcing the steel, for example).

I wouldn't try it. If you're looking at getting a winch sell the non-winch bumper on EBay (or here :biggrin:) and buy a winch-compatible bumper.

Andy

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing about those ARB bumpers, is that the air-bag compatible ones are just weaker in a few points to allow the sensors on the front of the vehicle to be touched when there is an accident. I think that I would rather have the stronger bar (non-air bag), but it makes me wonder if you can get away with cutting a hole in the front???? I am going to look into this one.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a custom "hidden" winch mount on (that crummy "D" site), and I think it might be an integratable system..., it is a simple under-bumper steel winch bracket...I like the look of the stock guard, and with a discreet winch, it might work...?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of disadvantages to a discreet winch mount. It's down in the muck, so if you're nose-deep in mud or water you get to fish things out from underneath your bumper.

Also, I think you'd still have to do some cutting on the bumper to install a fairlead -- unless you've got other plans or the mount has a fairlead....?

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
I've always liked **'s Bumper, well rover solutions that is. I plan to make one like that this summer and copy the design of the factory LR brush guard and make it out of DOM tubing so it will actually be a strong functional piece.

Pic:
thebumper.jpg

Justin

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see someone build one of these. Last I heard, Rover Solutions was not building these anymore. If you try it Justin, let us know how it goes!

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
I'll let you know sam, I've heard the same thing about RS, its too bad they are great bumpers.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is more a bump-to-top than anything else:

It's going to cost about $250-300 for the materials. I'm hoping to have the bumper constructed this fall/winter and have it on by spring (painting, etc. will take some time and my funds are not there right now). I will be certain to notify y'all when it's done.

Andy