Front End Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a part number for that steering input shaft?

Cut and paste from discouk:
Models: LA - Discovery 3 LS - Range Rover Sport Title: FAQ 22241 - Steering light knock over bumps. Engineer Name: Townsend, Ken Last Modified: 24-APR-06 Category: Chassis Symptom: 303000 Steering/Handling Content: User will report light knock over bumps. Some will show slight free play in steering. Cause is LOWER steering shaft (Under bonnet) NOT the steering rack. With vehicle static engine off check for free play in steering aprox +/- 3 degrees, with gentle input. Also some vehicles may exhibit a light knock on uneven surfaces between 10 to 15 mph. If the shaft is the cause please use new part number QMN500240 (RHD) or QMN500250 (LHD) to repair as this has improved characteristics for noise. Part was introduced to production at L319 - LA390436 L320 - LS956379. If shaft does not resolve knocking noise please submit an EPQR and contact dealer technical support.*____________

Tirewall

Reaction score
LR3 Front End Knocking

Just bought new lower control arms for my 2005 LR3 at the dealer for $300 per arm. I planned to change them myself. The truck has 176,000 miles. The control arm bolts would not budge. I spent 2 hours trying to dislodge them but no luck. I put her back together and had a local muffler shop change them. They had to use a torch, broke their arm hammer bit, and had to replace the bolts. It took them 4 hours. Glad I gave up before getting in too deep. They charged me $400 for the change and a front end alignment. (the owner is a friend). My advice is to change the control arms instead of trying to do the bushings and have someone with a lift, a torch and plenty of time to tackle this one. She is tight as a drum now!

Tirewall
Northfield, CT

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you will notice your clicks going up. I have been posting the links around. Great job...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99