Front lower control arm bushes worn? Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any commentary on the videos - re: movement

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am confused about one thing. Do all the bushing somewhat resemble each other? I have an 05 with 71,000 and the bushings on my control arms look nothing like the ones in the video. I noticed the ones in the video seem to have a space between the housing and the frame mount. My bushings are tapered at the ends and the tapered part seems to be a harder polymer plastic that fills in the gap. When I brought it in for me 67,000 service my SA made a point to tell me that my bushings seemed fine. I wouldn't have known the difference if I hadn't had seen these great videos. Anyone have any ideas about what i am talking about?

Trynian

Reaction score
I am confused about one thing. Do all the bushing somewhat resemble each other? I have an 05 with 71,000 and the bushings on my control arms look nothing like the ones in the video. I noticed the ones in the video seem to have a space between the housing and the frame mount. My bushings are tapered at the ends and the tapered part seems to be a harder polymer plastic that fills in the gap. When I brought it in for me 67,000 service my SA made a point to tell me that my bushings seemed fine. I wouldn't have known the difference if I hadn't had seen these great videos. Anyone have any ideas about what i am talking about?

You are probably just not seeing the right angle. The 05s are the same as the 06 in the U.S. I have an 06 and had similar issues. I think they corected it some in later models like 08, not sure about 07. There will be some movement even new but eventually that movement will get worse.

Try driving at 5 mph and slam on the breaks several time. If they are worn to much you will hear the knock.

Last edited:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mhaise57 can you take a picture and post it? If you have an air suspension D3 then you would have the same bush set up. I don't know if the movement in the videos is normal or not, that's why I posted. It seems to me that the rear look to move quite a bit, but they return to their original position after stress. I will update again once I show the dealer the rear videos. I have been on a mission since 2007 to eliminate the front knock and I think with new front lower control arms (videos from beginning post) I will finally find peace. We'll see what they say about the rears.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will definitely post some photos tomorrow. Since seeing this post I have done everything to see if I could hear the "Knock" but still no luck. Since we are all on the discussion of suspension components. Is it just me or does everyone else notice quite a bit of corrosion forming in various places on the undercarriage.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the LR3s trick suspension changes things, but can you not just raise one side of the vehicle and do the "wiggle" test? Ie, with one side jacked, try wiggling the wheel left & right - play means your bushings are shot - wiggling top to bottom is generally tie rods...

I just did bushings on my BMW - much tighter feel (granted it's also much older!), and the DIY for just bushings is very easy, assuming that you get the bushings pre-pressed into the carrier housing. Naturally, I also did control arms and made a right hash of it for a day! (ball joints were rather firmly attached, and I was apparently swinging my purse at it, not wanting to break something!).

Assuming you catch 'em early, replacing bushings should typically not require an alignment - though with the weight of the LR3, catching them "quickly" could be a rather relative term...

I've got a bit of front end knock that I've been meaning to look at; if I get around it in the next little while, I'll chime in. I think I'm also going to grab one of those clamps - cool videos!

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped off my D3 this morning for front control arm replacement. They gave me an '08 D3 loaner with 4,500 miles on the odometer. I'm going to take identical videos of the front and rear bushings so we can come to a conclusion. Stay tuned!

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try driving at 5 mph and slam on the breaks several time. If they are worn to much you will hear the knock.

That's exactly the experience I had with my '05 before doing a major overhaul of all bushings at 83k. I would also notice the clunking when climbing on to my driveway or even hitting a hole in the road at low speed. I didn't need to slam on the brakes - just a tap would invoke the loose clunk.

After replacing all of the bushings this has completely disappeared. I've also noticed that my steering has tightened up significantly with noticeably less steering wander etc too. (sorry - there's no doubt a technical term for this). Anyway, the bottom line is my 'relaxed' feeling LR3 feels like a sprightly young 'un again. I know I almost certainly over maintained this by changing out everything but it certainly feels worth it and hopefully good for another 70k+.

Trynian

Reaction score
That's exactly the experience I had with my '05 before doing a major overhaul of all bushings at 83k. I would also notice the clunking when climbing on to my driveway or even hitting a hole in the road at low speed. I didn't need to slam on the brakes - just a tap would invoke the loose clunk.

After replacing all of the bushings this has completely disappeared. I've also noticed that my steering has tightened up significantly with noticeably less steering wander etc too. (sorry - there's no doubt a technical term for this). Anyway, the bottom line is my 'relaxed' feeling LR3 feels like a sprightly young 'un again. I know I almost certainly over maintained this by changing out everything but it certainly feels worth it and hopefully good for another 70k+.

Same here, my steering is tighter also and the clunk is gone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99