Fuel Grade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now all of you guys might call me stupid, but ive been packing 91 octane into my land rover for nearly 5 years. Is there any difference in mpg/ performance if I were to use lets say 89 or 87 octane fuel? I just think its healthier for the car to use premium =)

A

ayavner

I use 89, with an occasional can of fuel treatment (seafoam, B22, etc). Mine's a 2001 D2. I have a friend with a '96 D1 who uses regular grade with no noted down-sides. If anything, the premium wtih good detergents is best, but i think its the detergents more than the extra 2 octane that makes a diff... anyone?

C

Crash17

My 1994 is spoiled. She was running on Sunoco 94 Ultra until the discontinued it in CT where I live. Now I run 93. If I run 89 she coughs and sputters and has noticably less power. I believe that if I were to do this and put up with it long enough that the ECU would adapt the fuel/air mixture [much like the 19 starts after a battery discounnect the ECU 'tests' different mixes] but I don't mind pampering the truck [yes - the price of gas is killing me, but my Disco is one of my few luxuries in life...]

Dennis

A

ayavner

well, I do see prices here in TX creeping down ever so slightly... When Chevron 93 w/ Techron gets a little below $2, I will probably go back to that.. but, for now the 89 seems to work well enough with no noticeable difference in mileage or power. I have been tracking my mileage every time i fill up, and i see more difference from week to week from driving style/load than I do from fuel grade.

A

ayavner

Ouch!!!.... still better than most of the world, I guess...

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like California, $2.49 for premium. I was near Bakersfield today, and paid $2.99. Drove 65 mph on the way home. ;)

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crash17 where abouts in CT are you? I'm in East Hampton

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4