Fuel Grade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now all of you guys might call me stupid, but ive been packing 91 octane into my land rover for nearly 5 years. Is there any difference in mpg/ performance if I were to use lets say 89 or 87 octane fuel? I just think its healthier for the car to use premium =)

A

ayavner

I use 89, with an occasional can of fuel treatment (seafoam, B22, etc). Mine's a 2001 D2. I have a friend with a '96 D1 who uses regular grade with no noted down-sides. If anything, the premium wtih good detergents is best, but i think its the detergents more than the extra 2 octane that makes a diff... anyone?

C

Crash17

My 1994 is spoiled. She was running on Sunoco 94 Ultra until the discontinued it in CT where I live. Now I run 93. If I run 89 she coughs and sputters and has noticably less power. I believe that if I were to do this and put up with it long enough that the ECU would adapt the fuel/air mixture [much like the 19 starts after a battery discounnect the ECU 'tests' different mixes] but I don't mind pampering the truck [yes - the price of gas is killing me, but my Disco is one of my few luxuries in life...]

Dennis

A

ayavner

well, I do see prices here in TX creeping down ever so slightly... When Chevron 93 w/ Techron gets a little below $2, I will probably go back to that.. but, for now the 89 seems to work well enough with no noticeable difference in mileage or power. I have been tracking my mileage every time i fill up, and i see more difference from week to week from driving style/load than I do from fuel grade.

A

ayavner

Ouch!!!.... still better than most of the world, I guess...

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like California, $2.49 for premium. I was near Bakersfield today, and paid $2.99. Drove 65 mph on the way home. ;)

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crash17 where abouts in CT are you? I'm in East Hampton

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge