Fuel Pump Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueBomber

Reaction score
Finally convinced my hubby to let me buy a beat up, not well-cared for 98 LR Disco. We've done the regular maintenance, changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter and an oil change. It will run for 20-40 minutes and then will start dying out. If I were to shut it off, most likely it wouldn't start again for about 20 minutes or longer. If I allow it to run it will eventually shut down. If I am moving and can continue moving and giving it gas, it will keep going, spitting and moaning the whole way. First recommendation was to change out the crank sensor, changed it out, but no change. Second recommendation was to change out the multifunction/fuel pump relay so my brother by-passed it and there was no change. Third recommendation was to check the fuel pressure regulator, so we disconnected the vacuum hose, and, there was still no change although it did seem to run a little longer. Any other recommendations prior to me changing out the fuel pump? I am hearing a knock, knock sensors? It isn't coming up when we "plug it in". There are several codes coming up for the O2 sensors, would these possibly be the cause of the shut down and knocking? Btw, it only has 20 lbs of pressure, it's supposed to have 60 lbs, correct?

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
I'll let someone else speak to the pressure question, but that sounds quite low to me. This is the exact set of symptoms I had on my D1 before the pump died. The fuel pumps on a Discovery are pretty sensitive to misuse. My g/f killed mine by consistently leaving it running when she would put gas in it.

The replacement is not too hard to do if you're handy, and the pump itself is around $300. You can reach it by removing the bottom sill trim and lifting the carpet in the cargo section.

Good luck!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the pump is bad, and by the pressure it is, you have options. By the way what year is the Disco and how many miles on it?
First quit messing with the fuel pump relay and re-wire it. Most people don't know, but if it is a D1, there are actually 3 relays inside the relay housing.
Let me know what year it is cause you can buy just the pump motor, not the entire pump assembly and they are only around $80.

BlueBomber

Reaction score
Mike-it's a 98 LE, mileage is over 150,000. Would the fuel pump cause backfiring? When it starts "crapping out", it starts backfiring a bit. Any recommendations on how to nail the problem down to the fuel pump and where to get one quickly? I do know that this vehicle wasn't well-maintained so do you have any recommendations on where I can find a list of all the servicing that would have needed to be done up to this point besides a normal tune-up. Would like to head off a lot of issues at the pass since this is my primary vehicle and I tote my little girl around in it.

BlueBomber

Reaction score
Another question about the knock sensors and O2 sensors, would it be beneficial to pull them and clean them or should I just begin replacing them at this mileage?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send me your number and I'll call you this afternoon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72