fuel pump signs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V

vandermeulen

So.... I was at the mall yesterday (ya-ya how cliche' - Land Rover at the mall), wife and I went shopping, came out an hour later and the Rover wouldn't start. Would turn over but seemed like it wasn't getting any fuel to ignite. (Now I was away for a week prior to this, it started fine to drive to the mall would not go after). I finally got a hammer and banged on the tank (old fuel pump trick) and it started. It's been starting fine all day so far. Am I correct in assessing that this is the problem, or are Land Rover known for this kinda thing if you leave them for a week? (like a sulking child).

96' Discovery - 4.0L - 85750 Miles (138000 km) - no mods (yet)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I was at the dealer the other day discussing fuel pump issues with the mechanic, he told me that the D1 fuel pump has two plugs going to it that tent to corrode and this cause a lot of fuel pump issues and failures.

One connector is on the drivers side frame rail between the rear tire and the tank, the other is right at the fuel pump in the access panel.

My issues seems to be the VSS, which would be unrelated to your problem.

V

vandermeulen

Thanks for the info. I'll try to check tonight to see if there is any corrosion in those areas. I've had the truck for about 6 months now and have all the previous owners papers. It seemed to me that he had replaced the fuel pump once already in the vehicles' lifetime.
How often do Land Rovers go through fuel pumps?
I also bought a fuel filter and will change it this weekend. (along with the steering damper and various other things that need attention).

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it hot outside when you went to mall?

Rover can go through pumps quite often, it basically depends on replacement one.

Also it can be all sorts of oter stuff.. Hence the question about temp.

V

vandermeulen

Unfortunately, it wasn't hot. It was a bit chilly and raining all day. It did sit for a week without being touched, but it started with no problems to get to the mall, just didn't start when I came out.

What else do you figure it could be? Any info is good info!

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a bad connection, moisture and cold, damp air could cause a short that you fixed by banging with the hammer...

FWIW.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
basically too rich of moisture can cause all sorts of things, like Andy said - including shortening of contacts, too much humidity in MAF & etc. Can also be that your batter grew "tired" and not provided enough CCA to crank it properly.

Normal check with fuel pump is to listen for buzzing. And to try turn key between 2nd and 3rd position few times with short pauses between.

I'd just suspect that it was simple thing with undercharged battery. Specially after sitting week by itself :)

V

vandermeulen

I'll check out the connections as soon as I can to be sure. The battery and alternator are less than a month old. (red top). I doubt and hope it's not the battery but in 6 months of ownership I've found that anything can be at fault with this thing. I now understand the love/hate passion that many Rovers owners feel. I love it, but some days I wish I bought the X-terra. LOL

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) its XTerra
2) i got both and they both got freaky quirks.. My X making fortune for alignment shops - its got world loosest torsion bars i think

its not how old it is - its how much charge.. I am starting to hate my red top optima.. Wish i'd wait few days, drove off to Sams club and save myself 30$ buying orbital exide with better parameters.,...Looks like i am gonna do it anyway thought..

V

vandermeulen

Ok.....XTerra then! Sorry!

I borrowed a test unit for the battery that supposedly puts a load on it and tests it etc.....it came out fine. I don't have a unit to test the fuel pressure at the moment but so far it's been starting and running fine again. I still need to look for loose or corroded connections. (its getting dark early now up here so it'll have to wait till tomorrow maybe). I will post any findings that are interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo