Full Size Spare Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squarecircle

Reaction score
Greetings All; >>>>>>> For me one spare tyre, same size as the other four is a good thing. If you use that spare, now you proceed with absolutely no spare and that is the end of that trec for me. Must head directly and slowly back to the barn now! "Winston" carries TWO spares! One on top in roof rack and one on swing out spare tyre carrier. Below and in front of rear bumper is where the spare gas tank is so that I can leave the barn far far behind. >>>>>>> Regards sq.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also carry one of these kits at all times, just in case the spare tire runs into a bad day:

ARB Speedy Seal puncture kit
arb005%20006.jpg

154_0704_05_z+jeep_tire_plug_tech+plug_installation.jpg

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the good info! appreciate it!

i got the new black 18" wheels and cooper zeons on. it looks pretty sweet. much meaner.

i think i will be ordering another cooper for my spare in the near future as i am really hoping to spend more time on the trails in the next few years.

that viair setup looks pretty sweet. it sure would be handy on both the trails and for keeping better more regular tabs on our tire pressures. i think i can talk my wife into spending a bit on one of these.

now...if i can just talk her into new sliders and a swing away spare holder...

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you use the spare to warrant the extra money and hassle of doing this? What's the point? So if you do use the spare, you drive on it for a day or 2? Is that really worth all the hassle and bother?

The point is, that with tires that are 31.5" on all four corners, it's not a wise idea to put a 30.0" tire in place of any one of those for any length of time or mileage. That kinda stresses differentials pretty bad.

I also had to replace my OEM tires at 24K (even with regular 6k tire rotations). I plan to continue that 6K rotation with these tires but add the full size spare to the rotation. I was looking at mileage plus I bought all five tires for $115 each and paid $60 for mounting, balancing, and installation of all five. These tires have been good for everything I've put them through to date, and I like them. But, I'd really consider the DuraTracs for next tires.

I want the swing-away tire carrier and put this monster spare where its easy to handle. I have three big dogs in the back, so no room there. I'm too old for tossing it up on the roof rack too. But I did price the tire mount for my roof rack.

www.4x4intelligence.com.au has the wheel carrier I like although I did look at the Kaymar Bumper & Tire carriers at www.kaymar.com.au Nice LED lights on that bumper plus other options.
BJ

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The point is, that with tires that are 31.5" on all four corners, it's not a wise idea to put a 30.0" tire in place of any one of those for any length of time or mileage. That kinda stresses differentials pretty bad.

True, plus if you get a flat in a nasty spot a long way from anywhere, you really don't want to try to extricate your vehicle on the spacersaver doughnut.

626687185_4peRm-L.jpg

I want the swing-away tire carrier and put this monster spare where its easy to handle. I have three big dogs in the back, so no room there. I'm too old for tossing it up on the roof rack too. But I did price the tire mount for my roof rack.

www.4x4intelligence.com.au has the wheel carrier I like although I did look at the Kaymar Bumper & Tire carriers at www.kaymar.com.au Nice LED lights on that bumper plus other options.
BJ
I always wanted a rear tire carrier too! I just couldn't afford it after all the "protection" and "repair" items needed before the protection was added... Having the spare out of the cargo area would be a huge help:

IMG_1647-800.gif

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, plus if you get a flat in a nasty spot a long way from anywhere, you really don't want to try to extricate your vehicle on the spacersaver doughnut.

626687185_4peRm-L.jpg

I always wanted a rear tire carrier too! I just couldn't afford it after all the "protection" and "repair" items needed before the protection was added... Having the spare out of the cargo area would be a huge help:

IMG_1647-800.gif

Oh crap! Since I have the 7 passenger model, If I had a flat and had to let the spare down, all that stuff would have to be unloaded in order to raise the third row seats to get at that crank bolt. A real PITA as I just learned over the weekend. I'd rather not put the full size under there just for that reason.

Besides, I can see where having a Swing-Away mount with the tire mount swung out in the open position, would help stabilize my dog loading ramp. The dogs would appreciate that.

I had a price quote from Rasta4x4 back in November for their Swing-Away Mount for $960 to my door and I pay any customs or import fees. He was slow to respond to my inquires....
BJ

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Besides, I can see where having a Swing-Away mount with the tire mount swung out in the open position, would help stabilize my dog loading ramp. The dogs would appreciate that.

Sure. Try that. SHE might just go for that. :)

Trynian

Reaction score
Oh crap! Since I have the 7 passenger model, If I had a flat and had to let the spare down, all that stuff would have to be unloaded in order to raise the third row seats to get at that crank bolt. A real PITA as I just learned over the weekend. I'd rather not put the full size under there just for that reason.

With the 7 seater you can install a u-joint and socket with and extension so the extension is just barely through the crack between the seats. That way you don't have to unload. I carry a spare under an in the cargo area similar to nwoods.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BJ

my concern was stressing the differential. i don't want to make a 4 hour trek back home on three 31.5" tires and one old 30" tire. not exactly sure of the consequences, but it just doesn't sound like any thing good could come out of it other than me getting to visit my LR shop and check out the new LR4 while getting my truck fixed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9