GapIID BT compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vietec

Reaction score
Hey everyone, about two months ago I bought a new GAPIID tool from Lucky8 and have always had a compatibility problem with my phone. I'm running a Sony z5 compact with the latest android version on it. When I originally contacted them, they said there was nothing they could do for me and to wait for an update.

Has anyone had success in tweaking their phones or the unit to get them to work together? I understand that they can't be expected to make it compatible across the board but I don't think that the solution of buying a $$$ phone for my $$$ tool is acceptable either.

Land Cruiser

Reaction score
Just a thought, but do you have a iPad or android tablet? You don't have to use your phone, just a bluetooth compatible device with the app installed.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the BT version, and I think I used it via BT once to show off to a friend that I could raise / lower the truck from my phone.

It's always been far quicker to just run through the EAS presets via the steering wheel control method vs messing around with the BT connection.

vietec

Reaction score
Just a thought, but do you have a iPad or android tablet? You don't have to use your phone, just a bluetooth compatible device with the app installed.
That's a valid thought, maybe I could ru nout and just grab a cheap tablet and put a tough case around it.

I bought the BT version, and I think I used it via BT once to show off to a friend that I could raise / lower the truck from my phone.

It's always been far quicker to just run through the EAS presets via the steering wheel control method vs messing around with the BT connection.
I was hoping to be able to do that but can't seem to figure out how to access the menus through the car only without using BT.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn off the radio first, then plug in the module and use the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel to navigate the IIDTool menu when it pops up in your instrument cluster (your ignition should be on of course, although the engine doesn't have to be running.)

If you pick another "cheap" Android device, make sure it is one fitted with BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) version 4.0 or later, as earlier Bluetooth versions are not compatible with the tool. I've had luck with all my devices thus far (from an ancient 2013 Nexus 7 tablet to my current Galaxy S7 Edge), even though I've experienced quite a few "crashes" that have required a restart of the app, Bluetooth radio on my device, or both to reconnect the two.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM