Gas gauge reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since having my 2013 for the past year, I have found that I never have put more than ~18 gallons in it. And that is when the computer tells me I have 0 miles to empty. So I have 4.8 gallons left, roughly 90 miles, and don't have the balls to trust that the reading is so conservative. Is this the norm for these trucks? I'd like to get it recalibrated or whatever if possible.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got the car I was as confounded as you by the gas gauge and distance-to-empty readings, so much so that I questioned whether the fuel tank had shrunk to less than 22.8 gallons for my model year. The trip computer is extremely conservative - even though over time mine seems to have grown a pair, for some reason. When I approach 0 miles to empty, I am now able to fill up with 19 to 20 gallons of gas. Most I have been able to squeeze in there - and I was sweating bullets, trip computer stated I had zero miles left for a good 15 miles or so and I had no choice but to keep driving where I was - was 21 gallons. I also think that, although Land Rover says in its manuals that the entire 22.8 gallons are usable, a gallon or two probably are not in the real world. They are in there mostly to keep the fuel pump from overheating, and I reckon the engine would most likely stall before that last gallon is used up.

I'd rather have an overly conservative trip computer than the other way around I guess... But since it just calculates historical averages and not your current driving conditions, it is not unusual for it to be quite a bit off. Take its info with a grain of salt. AFAIK, there is no way to recalibrate it or adjust it, that's just the way it is.

Last edited:

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
By looking deep into the LandRoverUSA.com website I found

LRL 10 02 53 121 - OWNER'S HANDBOOK 2012 (Issue 1) on a sub webpage:

topiz.landrover.jlrext.com

Basically it says the usuable fuel tank capacity for a petrol engine is 19 gallons on the Capacities page in the Technical Specifications section. I think that's the difference you're seeing from the 23 gallon total capacity. Maybe the only way to really know is to take along spare gas in a can and see how far you get after the Distance-To-Empty indicator on your trip computer reads zero. Just be sure to shut off the engine the instant it feels like it's starting to run out of gas. Hope this helps.

CAPACITIES
The quoted capacities are approximate and
provided as a guide only. All oil levels must be
checked using the dipstick, level plugs, driver
information module or drain and refill, as
applicable.
Item Variant Capacity
Fuel tank (usable) Diesel 82 litres (18 gallons)
Petrol 86 litres (19 gallons)
Engine oil refill and filter change Diesel 5.7 litres (10 pints)
V8 Petrol 8.0 litres (14 pints)
Manual gearbox All vehicles 1.6 litres (2.8 pints)
Automatic gearbox All vehicles Filled for life
Transfer box All vehicles 1.5 litres (2.64 pints)
Front differential - wet fill All vehicles 0.56 litres (1 pints)
Rear differential - wet fill Non-locking 1.18 litres (2.08 pints)
Rear differential - wet fill Electronic locking 1.72 litres (3.03 pints)
Washer reservoir 3.0 Diesel and V8 Petrol 5.6 litres (9.8 pints)
2.7 Diesel 6.3 litres (11 pints)
Cooling system (refill) 2.7 Diesel 16.7 litres (29.4 pints)
3.0 Diesel 11.5 litres (20.2 pints)
V8 Petrol 17 litres (30 pints)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They just translated liters to UK gallons instead of US... 86 liters = 19 UK and 23 US gallons, give or take.

DaJammer

Reaction score
That's the difference. 1 imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallon. 19 x 1.2 = 22.8.

Same hold true when ordering a pint in the UK. Imperial pints are 20 ounces vs 16 ounces for US pint.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see I have company. I might start carrying around a spare can and testing it. Not sure how many tests it will take to be confident, but it's a start. Now my next little qualm is the ***** who made those big vertical seams on the seat back that seem designed to dig into my spine after a few hundred miles. Or do I just need to build up some back calluses, lol!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I literally just filled up my '13 V8 with 90.X liters this morning. I still have the receipt. I still had ~30km left showing on the range display, so there was clearly quite a bit of fuel in the tank. I have run the truck to 0 range a couple times but never paid that close attention to how much fuel I put in.

Long story short, I think 86 liters is not correct.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9