Gearbox Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 2011 LR4 with 115k on the tranny, only 38k on the engine. I love it. It’s an awesome truck and I use it as such.

About 5 months ago I was accelerating from 55 - 70 and all of a sudden it ****** a bit and then got the error “gearbox Fault” and then it would not shift into overdrive and the rpm’s were climbing. So I pulled over, shut it down, sat for 5 min, turned the truck back on and drove away like nothing ever happened.

I of course was concerned, took it to my independent that has done all of my work, and of course nothing happens and so nothing to repair so I drive away.

All good for a bit and then it happened again probably 3 months later, and just recently it’s happening more frequently. It happened today, I waited to stop at a light, shut it off and then fine again.

What is going on? Anybody have any ideas? I have been doing some research when I can and somewhere it said that it might have something totally not related to the gearbox but a fuse or something...

Next steps:
Do I buy the iid tool?
Live with it?

Disclaimer I am not or never pretended to be a mechanic.

Basically any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks again,
Adrien

1557fd93344741474cdaa0360cdfca77.jpg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's start with the basics: Do you know the history on transmission fluid services? When was the last time you know for sure that it was done?

By most accounts these transmission are pretty solid, but they do need fluid changes and on occasion, they may need to have some bits replaced (mechantronics sleeves or mechatronics unit). I think I've only read of one transmission failure, I don't recall that it was necessarily properly serviced. Other here may remember better than I.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will gather all info from my independent about service as I believe I have had fluids done but will make sure.

I bought it used and unfortunately the dealer that did all service won’t release the records. Not sure why, It’s a Boston Mass dealer - they were not cool at all about it.

Regardless - yes let’s start with the basics.

Any other ideas please keep them coming and if I don’t respond right away I am not ignoring just crazy busy.

Cheers,
Adrien
9abaffc9d79473467b30c5cac9f3605d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not a transmission guru by any stretch, but sounds like a shifting issue, which would lead me to look at the mechatronic unit and the associated solenoids.

Look under the truck and see if the transmission pan is metal or plastic. If it is plastic, that is a good indicator that the fluid has never been changed.

If not, I would but the 2 piece filter kit and fluid from AB and replacement solenoids and mech bridge and tubes from CTC.

If you can do the service yourself, you would be in about 550.00 in parts at this point.

If those items don't fix it, you are likely looking at rebuilding or replacing major components in the trans.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, if you do this job yourself, while you’re in there it’s worth doing the sleeves, bridge, and solenoids.

None of it is hard and can all be done on a garage floor with tools you likely already have. Atlantic British has a great instructional video. There are lots of videos on the bridge, sleeves, and solenoids on YouTube for bmws (it’s the same internals and pan). You’re looking for 6hp26 or 6hp28 transmission videos.

I’d stress, you likely have not had a service done. Land Rover says these are sealed for life and don’t require service- not the case. Service should occur at 75k.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. Will check on the pan in the am and report back if it’s plastic or not.

I wish I could do my work myself but I live in Brooklyn with no garage - regardless of it needs to be done it will be somehow / someway.

- AG

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn! it is plastic, just checked

e0b2fb1599925f3d31ca006da1508b20.jpg

Guess I have some service to take care of ASAP!
Will report back again after I figure this out / have it done.

Damn it!

Last edited:

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not uncommon as Rover puts in the manuals that these are "lifetime" filled from the factory, which is complete and utter bunk.

Do not take it to a dealer, as they will charge the ever loving hell out of you to replace it with the factory part and filter which is very labor intensive.

Find an indy shop that will install the parts I posted earlier based on actual time required. It should be no more than three hours, and honestly probably less when doing it on a lift. My three hour reference comes from me doing it on my garage floor.

I would be optimistic that the bridge/tube seals and solenoids would fix it. The bridge/tube seals are rubberish parts that are known to distort over time and cause various issues as they allow fluid to bypass its intended path.

You need the following:

https://www.thectsc.com/products/sealing-sleeve-kit-6hp26/28/32-214-50.html

https://www.thectsc.com/products/mechatronic-seal-adapter-6hp26-6hp28-6hp32-42-52.html

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AT...tFqB-QeJIeCxj1qHx5somo_3wKEvNZfRoCrHYQAvD_BwE

You also need replacement solenoids if you want to do the complete job. There is a data plate on the side of the transmission that can be read if you crawl under there. I would get that info and call the CTSC to make sure you get the right kit.

Good luck.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not uncommon as Rover puts in the manuals that these are "lifetime" filled from the factory, which is complete and utter bunk.

Do not take it to a dealer, as they will charge the ever loving hell out of you to replace it with the factory part and filter which is very labor intensive.

Find an indy shop that will install the parts I posted earlier based on actual time required. It should be no more than three hours, and honestly probably less when doing it on a lift. My three hour reference comes from me doing it on my garage floor.

I would be optimistic that the bridge/tube seals and solenoids would fix it. The bridge/tube seals are rubberish parts that are known to distort over time and cause various issues as they allow fluid to bypass its intended path.

You need the following:

https://www.thectsc.com/products/sealing-sleeve-kit-6hp26/28/32-214-50.html

https://www.thectsc.com/products/mechatronic-seal-adapter-6hp26-6hp28-6hp32-42-52.html

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/AT...tFqB-QeJIeCxj1qHx5somo_3wKEvNZfRoCrHYQAvD_BwE

You also need replacement solenoids if you want to do the complete job. There is a data plate on the side of the transmission that can be read if you crawl under there. I would get that info and call the CTSC to make sure you get the right kit.

Good luck.

I have replacement solenoids that have about 5000 miles of use on them. I paid 350ish for them, happy to sell them for $200 plus shipping if you want them. I also have the bridge seal (new) and the sleeves (also new) with the same amount of miles that I’ll throw in.

I ended up replacing my transmission after a good service did not fix my issues.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO the mechanic says I need a new transmission and that a fluid / solenoids etc. change wont fix it. I am going to take it back tomorrow morning to him and see about next steps, as well as looking into another opinion to make sure.

The error codes (and what is happening on the road) are telling me that it cant shift between 3rd and 4th and basically skips 5th and then misses 6th and then just isn’t in gear. He wiped the codes completely so when we I take it back we can see what is happening from Saturday (when I took it to him) to Monday. It happened almost immediately - the issues and on my drive to and from Rockaway (12 miles each way).

Just FYI - my independent went MIA last month. Like closed up shop and I cant in touch with him so a friend of mine that is also a rover geek suggested this guy:

bae4830c3274c4c1ddc3e5b289a1d915.jpg

Weighing all my options at this point. Including selling the beast and starting over with something a tad newer / lower miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM