Going to buy 4Runner Trail, convince me otherwise!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a wheel had no traction and was spinning/slipping, the traction control would cut power to the wheel. When all four wheels were slipping, the traction control would cut power to all four wheels. You revved the engine, but nothing happened. No wheels spinning - shut down. This was a big topic on the GX & 4-Runner boards about 6 years ago. I have not been on the boards of late, so I'm not sure if it is still an issue.

Sonies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH yeah Toyotas are totally awesome, if you have no soul

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my rovers but am starting to hate them. our '03 D2 left us stranded in downtown atlanta a few months ago during the middle of the BET awards. what an experience. the LR3 had another $1k air suspension fix last week after spending near 2 weeks in the LR dealership trying to get diagnosed. the D2 is now sold and i have a new 2012 wrangler rubicon. the new engine is fantastic and the interior is much improved. i debated the toyota, but really like the ability to take the jeep's top off in the warm weather. i never thought i'd be driving a chrysler, but i also doubt i'll ever buy a rover again.

Last edited:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good looking rubi! I dont know if its a remnant of the brief mercedes/chrysler merge, but the new color matched hardtop look a lot like the G-wagon.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got over 90k now on an '05 LR3 HSE7. Still looks and drives like new, but you can expect to spend $ on maintenance and occasional repairs. Just part of the cost of ownership.

cbboard - the Rubi looks great! Another former LR3 forum member "coop" made the same switch last year. I'd consider one, but need something that is also good for highway driving and long road trips.

Last edited:

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. i am loving the rubi! that being said it is super nice when i do drive the LR3 (now my wife's ride). while the air suspension is costly/finicky, it sure does ride nice. also, the LR3s V8 turns the 32" tires a lot quicker than the jeep's V6 turns the 35" tires. i am really anxious to see what LR does with the upcoming new RR as well as the new defender. i hope it makes me want to ditch the jeep.

AZ LR3

Reaction score
I'd probably be in a 2012 Wrangler by now too except that I'm reading about lots of Pentastar problems - and not simple ones either. There's something deeply wrong there.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*** is a Pentastar?

...oh, the engine. What sort of issues, in a nutshell?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW - I had no idea about the problems. Pentastar is also Chrysler's logo; ironic that it embody all things traditionally wrong there. The Jeep roof leaks looks to be a ridiculously common problem too. Who knew the LR would be the more reliable option.

**I had a new wrangler and it was also towed to the shop 3 times under warranty in 3 years time for minor electrical issues. Like clutch switch failed and would not allow engine to start.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99