Gotta get em seperated! front rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have an issue here. I am doing an upgrade on my front brakes to EBC pads and rotors. I got the whole system apart including bolts but cant get the rotor seperated from the hub. I have the RAVE cd and a Haynes manual and both dont seem to be of any help as to how to seperate this thing.
Perhaps I am missing something? I want to pound it with a sledge hammer but dont want to screw it up.
Anyone have any pointers out there?

97 D1

Last edited:
E

ECL

Spray some Liquid Wrench or AeroKroil around the back of the rotor and let it sit for a few minutes.

Then with hammer in hand, hit the back side of the rotor, rotate, hit, rotate, hit, etc., etc. Eventually you'll get 'em off.

When installing the new rotors, be sure to use a little anit-seize so you won't have the same problem next time.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice one, Thanx

When you say hit the back of the rotor you mean the side where the 5 bolts attach right? Then hit the outside of the rotor or the inside?

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
i did both sides so it starts a rocking effect, btw you’ll love these brakes. i went with the dimpled and slotted rotors and they are soo much more responsive. With the pads you will enjoy how much less dust is created! I just want to make sure though... you have removed the Phillips head screw that keeps the rotor on right. One more thing i got an old towel and put it over the rotor just so its not as loud, you’ll shred the towel at the end but its less noise.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt see any phillips screw in there anyware but I will double check.

Thanks

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
lol there is one black screw in each rotor that keeps them on, they will usual strip before you can get them out, if you have one i think its a size 4 Philips driver that you will need, or a screw removal kit work great!

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:biggrin:
That could be part of the problem. I'll check it after work.

E

ECL

The head of the retaining screw is a # 4 Pozidrive bit, which is slightly different from a phillips head. An impact wrench my help if you have trouble removing the screw.

As far as hitting the rotor - hit it from the back side, rotate, hit, rotate, hit.. - eventually you'll get it off.

Last edited by a moderator:

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.

Hopefully I will have time to mess with it more this weekend. Have been busy enjoying the wicked nice weather we are getting up here! :beer:

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig this one back up.

Brake job finally done. New EBC rotors and pads. My ears are still ringing abit from hammering the old rotors off.

Since the change and a little break in time I am getting a squeal from the passenger front brakes. It doesnt happen at quicker speeds just under 25ish. When I put on the breaks lightly the noise goes away. During the job everything was cleaned and greased up good. I even put some anti-squeak stuff on the backs of the pads. Could it be that my caliper is going? perhaps not letting out enuff?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM