GPS when off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I like funtreks guidebooks ( great trails for Arizona). I am going to order their GPS DATA CARD and would like to know if you can make it work with your android phone.
I know about Funtreks eGuides but not interested in those.
So, for a phone with an expandable memory micro sd card could I just insert funtreks card, turn off cell signal and use just GPS phone receiver?
What application would be best to do this? ( cache off line maps).

I tried some internet search but could not find much.

Thanks,
TLB

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with a used certified iPad mini with cellular antenna, don't sign up for a data plan and run Gaia GPS. Awesome set up and allows for route changing while in the bush.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
I use backcountry navigator pro from the play store (~$10). It allows you to download maps offline in advance and import kml files (gps tracks and waypoints) such as those you speak of from funtreks. the app takes a bit to learn, but when you do you'll realize it's really the best option out there (at least for domestic trails).

mikem

Reaction score
Hi TLB.

Regarding the GPS data cards - the Funtraks website says you can import the data into various gps apps which you can then use in conjunction with their guidebooks. https://www.funtreks.com/gps-data-cards/funtreks-data-cards

I use motion x GPS app with the iPad (a cellular version that El Solis mentioned) when driving on trails or hiking: http://gps.motionx.com/ipad/overview/

I don't have a data plan for the device but the cellular versions come with GPS/GLONASS hardware built in. I just capture the gps signal and I'm off.
The app lets you download and save maps of the area you plan to drive/hike through ahead of time. Once you're out of cell signal area, the map works in conjunction with the GPS signal to show your location and whatever path you may have preloaded or marked out. I've been able to load waypoints that have been shared on websites using the app as well.

Hope this helps.

-mike

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Funtreks GPX data all the time. The first thing I did was to copy all the GPX data to my notebook computer. From there you have multiple options.

- Transfer the GPX files to a USB flash drive. Then "download" them into the LR4's Nav system. You won't see the route unless it calculates in on road navigation mode. But you will see the Waypoints. When you set Destinations with the LR4 Nav you will be able to scroll through the various routes/tracks you downloaded from the USB flash drive by the same name as in the Funtreks books. You can download only the trails you intend to use. You can also download them into specific folders in the LR4 system. I have them set up by book and by color/difficulty. For example CO North Blue or Utah Green or AZ Blue.

- When I copied the files to my notebook PC I did so into a Dropbox folder. This allows me to access them from my tablet and smartphone. From there it is relatively easy to "open" a GPX file into any number of mapping apps such as Gaia. I use Delorme's Earthmate as I use their GPS/Satellite Messaging device and I find their maps easier to use than Gaia. But I have to pay for that. (I also use the GPS on the InReach.) Gaia has both a free and a low-cost version I believe. But any app that can open GPS files will work. I don't have an Android system but I expect there are plenty of options there.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for feedback.
I am not apple/ iPad guy so I will look into backcountry navigator for android.
I understand that with this app, pre loaded topo maps and waypoints for trails from Funtreks web site it will work. ( it will just show the waypoints on a topo map and my location based on my phone GPS signal). At least this is how I understand this.
I am curious if putting funtreks GPS data micro SD card ( preloaded topo maps and way point for trails from the book) into my cell phone it would work the same way like using Garmin nuvi unit? Does it make any sense?
If it does not then I will just buy an updated book for Arizona and get backcountry navigator pro. ( cheaper and my micro SD memory card can stay in my phone).

Thanks again.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though we have the Funtrek GPX cards, I still use the latest books as they have the descriptive information. I still think you would be able to copy the data from the micro SD card to your PC (doesn't need to be a Mac) if it has a micro or mini SD reader and from there you could copy it to your Android phone. One the GPX data is copied as data onto your phone I would think you could access from apps on the phone. But I'm not an Android person. In any case, you can also load the data into the LR2 Nav system. I would expect that a USB SD Card reader would work to connect to the USB port in the upper glove compartment.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Danrhiggins,

I did not know about downloading GPX files via USB to LR navi.
I like this idea a lot.
On 2013 USB port and iPod port are located under the armrest. My USB memory stick with music files is there.
Would you mind to explain how to transfer GPX file into LR4 navi system?
Thank you
PS. In the meantime I am going to order GPX card and a new book from Funtreks.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, this works on MY13s and older only. Use a smallish - 32GB max - USB flash drive formatted in FAT32 for this transfer, as I can't get NTFS format to work with Land Rover's system. Copy as many GPX waypoint / track files as you want to upload on it. On the LR4's nav, select (going by recollection here... some names may be slightly different, sorry) Nav Menu > More > Stored Locations > My POIs. Stick the USB flash drive in the USB port under the arm rest or glove box, and pick the "Add" button, you will see the list of GPX on your USB drive displayed on the touchscreen. Touche the one(s) you wish to upload and the coordinates will be uploaded to the satnav.

To select one of these uploaded POIs, go to Dest. Entry > More > Points of Interest > My Destinations > OK. Pick the destination you want and have a nice trip!

One limitation of my system is that it won't allow me to pick downloaded POIs too far away from where I am. For instance, I uploaded a big GPX file containing trailhead coordinates of a few dozen popular 4x4 trails here in SoCal. From the garage at my house it will only show me a handful of relatively close ones (my guess is about 50 miles away or so) I can choose from when I pick that file. As I drive elsewhere, the list changes accordingly. Not sure if that's a limitation they removed on later model years.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9