GRR. I thought I had solved the stalling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wouldn't say that this is a new problem, but it is definitely a random problem that has been plaguing my rover for the past year. I guess to start off, I'll begin with a quick background story of the idle problem...

Th rover stalls out very randomly at red lights. I would say this has been happening 5% of the time. Over the past year, it went away for about 5 months. I had an issue with a dirty MAF sensor (see my other post) last week, and well, long story short, it was K&N filter oil getting on the MAF sensor. That was fixed, but now I am getting stalls more frequently. There is no black smoke, and the RPMS bounce from 0 to 750 for a few seconds, and then the engine dies. Not the same symptoms as with the MAF sensor. Before I go out and start spending money, I would some help trying to pinpoint the cause of this frustration:

1) Stepper motor has been replaced/cleaned recently
2) O2 Sensor have been replaced recently
3) "New" spark plugs have less than 30k on them
4) Again, this problem is random. After I restart the engine and idle it, it will idle normally, and would probably do so until the gas ran out. I can idle it again for 10 to 15 minutes no problem.
5) On-board diagnostic not throwing any codes
6) I have a replacement generic pump motor (Airtex) sitting in my garage that needs to be rewired to the old pump assembly. My schedule is kind of busy, and rebuilding the fuel pump is not something I can do quickly. I figure things out quickly, but I have not yet rebuilt any of the components on my rover myself.
7) I have run Seafoam through gas tank and intake recently

Sorry this post is getting long, but I just want to be as detailed as possible so there isn't any confusion. My question is, what would be the most cost effective next step? My mechanic (very good one) charges $75 for a computer diagnostic, maybe a bit more if they were to do a fuel pressure test.

I suspect the fuel pump, which has not been replaced. Does the fuel pump go t*ts up all of the sudden? Or is it a slow, painful, and humiliating death? If it was a fuel pump issue, would there be a way I could test it (ie hooking it up to an electric power source?) I'm not exactly experienced with electronics, but I know very rudimentary basics and I am a very fast learner.

If I get this persistent and random problem solved cheaply, I will forgive my rover for the past troubles it has given me. Again, I apologize for the lengthy post.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel pumps normally just go out, but keep in mind it is still and electric pump. Which means that the contacts will wear out and could always cause odd issues.

I forget how many miles you have on your RR, but if you are in the 100k range, there is always the chance that the CAM is worn out which is causing your issue.

If it is the CAM, your mechanic should be able to tell.

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rover has 142K on it. Should I just take it in for a diag then? Might I mention that when it does idle, it idles very well...with a worn cam, wouldn't there be some misfiring/odd noises?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally a worn cam can show up in several ways, poor running at idle... poor power throughout the range of acceleration. It can also cause misfiring or odd noises...

read here about worn cam:

http://www.rpiv8.com/engine-4.htm#worncams

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. This is interesting. I think, after all, I will take it for a diagnosis. There is no hesitation in the range of acceleration, and when the car starts to die on me and I give it some gas, it feels like it is starving for fuel at the very low RPM range (<500). Is there anything simple that I can try to look at (ie, anything that would be blocking fuel or air..?). Thanks

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel filter... fuel regulator... injectors...

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Now, the symptoms include black smoke. This actually made me happy (who thought black smoke would make anyone happy...?) This makes the MAF or the air filter more suspicious. I wiped the air filter down for the third time, but did not clean the MAF sensor for a third time. Should I try cleaning it again??

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black smoke has gone away. Whenever it stalls and the engine shuts off, battery light and oil light comes on...?

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another update:

Code 23 - fuel supply...

fuel pump?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fuel issue, check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM