Hail Storms and the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just curious is anyone in here has ever had their LR3 out in a hail storm? I have had other vehicles in hail storms and they can do a number to the finish. My question is the glass roof. How strong and ridged is that panel on the roof?

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just curious is anyone in here has ever had their LR3 out in a hail storm? I have had other vehicles in hail storms and they can do a number to the finish. My question is the glass roof. How strong and ridged is that panel on the roof?

I just went through a huge one in South Dakota -- driving at 55 mph through marble sized hail for 40 minutes. No dents; no cracks. Ironically, three days later a highway rock would crack my windshield badly.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure but my LR3 has been through a Hail storm. The Hood and roof is peppered with tiny little dimples (A couple can be seen easily while the rest only when the light is right) I have the records and there is no replacement on the rooftop glass. It also appears original. Same with the sunroof and windshield. Originally from New Jersey now in Oregon....
Ryan
05 LR3

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not quite hail, but I've had a bunch of 20-30 lb monkeys jump on the roof from roughly 10 feet above the truck - it made a wicked noise when they landed, but no damage. For reference, I saw them do the same to a car ahead of me, and the roof was severely dented.

I would have to figure that the glass is able to withstand (to a certain degree) a roll-over, so hail shouldn't be a big deal...

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monkeys?? I am curious to know where you wheel, sounds like a place I would like to visit. Thanks for the feed back fellas. I am about to install an expedition rack on the top and had the idea of mounting expansion metal to the underside of the rack to create a flooring to it. Just the thought of throwing pelican cases and gear on something with a glass bottom kinda concerns me.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a sudden thunder storm hit us in Telluride last month (July 09) which included some hail, but not enough to do any damage thankfully. Most of my glass roof was covered with a rack and gear though. The sunroof was exposed. The paint and glass are all fine.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet he was visiting great adventure park safari in NJ.LOL:

Yeah, basically; different park, but same idea - African Lion Safari in SW Ontario, Canada. Certainly nothing authentic, but my daughter just turned three, and she and her friends get a kick out of the animals; turns out the LR3 is just about perfect for viewing the animals with all the sunroofs! Pretty fun place to tour through if you hit it on a weekday morning without crowds. While the truck generally feels pretty solid, you get the feeling it wouldn't hold up so well when you pull up next to a rhino - those things look tough!

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

I just went through a huge one in South Dakota -- driving at 55 mph through marble sized hail for 40 minutes. No dents; no cracks. Ironically, three days later a highway rock would crack my windshield badly.

Well, now that I've actually washed and waxed the LR3, I appear to have mis-spoken. Three dings (easily removed) and 4 paint strikes (through the clear coat and the color, not so easily fixed). For what its worth, the roof glass if fine....:)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink