Harmon Kardon speaker question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Grant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 Series II with Harmon kardon sound package:

One of the rear speakers in the back door sounds blown. I havent taken the cover off yet, but would this be something available at the dealer? Does anyone know the sizes off hand of the speakers? I checked ebay, figured if the dealer wanted $$$ I could get a better replacement from crutchfield or the like. Thanks for your help.

D

discodrew

I have a blown speaker in the front. the small mid range one. The dealership wants 100$ for it. these speakers are overpriced and I havn't been able to find them anywhere else.

62Sunbeam

What I would recommend is this: Open the grill and take out the blown speaker. On the back of the speaker should be an ohm rating. Make a note of it. Now measure from the center of one screw hole to another. Make a note of it. Now measure the diameter of the speaker. Make a note of that as well. Aslo look at the type of connections from the wires to the speakers. You may need to replace these.

Now go to a reputable stereo place and find a speaker witht the same measurements and ohm rating and a relatively low wattage. I'd be surprized if even the best LR stereo puts out as much as 25 watts per channel. A speaker with too high a wattage or different ohm rating will not put out as much volume as the old speaker.

Justa bout any aftermarket speaker will be better than anything supplied by the factory including the Harmon kardon units.

The average cost to LR for a complete premium stereo system including subs and amps etc is less than $200.

Good luck

Eric

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree completely, Harmon Kardon's are crap. Before you replace the rear door speaker check licence plate holder on back of truck. My licence plate holder would pop and vibrate against the outside of car. Made it sound like it was blown. Every other speaker in the truck was blown ec=xcept that one. Who is this Harmon Kardon guy, and why are his speakers all crap?

C

capthook

markthecat said:
I agree completely, Harmon Kardon's are crap. Before you replace the rear door speaker check licence plate holder on back of truck. My licence plate holder would pop and vibrate against the outside of car. Made it sound like it was blown. Every other speaker in the truck was blown ec=xcept that one. Who is this Harmon Kardon guy, and why are his speakers all crap?

Mine sounds gr8 I have to disagree with you there I have a 99 w/ - stock harmon kardon setup w/ sub in the rear door. I just put it on the mode where the sound goes through the entire truck, and it sounds fine when you turn it up. I also own a quite expensive Harmon Kardon amp for my home, which makes the nieghbors hair turn gray. By the way, BMW uses their systems in their cars as well. Look into them more, their equiptment is pretty high quality all the way around. However, when you get into speakers - Harmon lacks some of the power that other aftermarkets who have been in the business longer (Pioneer, Rockford, Sony, Alpine) can produce. However, IMO I think the LR system is enough for everyday use without the hip-hop option. Also, I think Boston Acoustics makes a speaker setup that fits our doors however I don't like the sound from those much more than these!

:) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Mr. Capt. Hook,
I don't doubt you've had good experience with your home HK speakers. But lets put it in perspective, My old car was an Audi A6 quattro (rearend totalled) with the Bose speaker system. In comparison to the Bose system the HK's are like Kraco or Fisher Price. Not only was the sound incomparible, but the Bose were much more resilient than the HK's in their ability to handle the demanding hip hop beats my wife blasted through them. Sound so clear you can smell it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo