Have you had to replace your shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I've come to the conclusion that I need my shocks replaced. I'm at 75k.

So, a quick survey:

-Has anyone else replaced shocks? At what mileage?
-If so, did you replace the entire shock/air bag unit? Or did you find a cheaper way to do just the shock?

I'm not too thrilled about paying $400 at each corner to just replace shocks (with an entire new shock/bag unit), but the ride is so wobbly I have to. :(

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
????? RUN away from that shop and get a 2nd opinion. There are no "shocks". Never heard of air bag replacements. Even after 150K miles. Wobbly is likely caused by warn out bushings or bad alignment. Good luck and please keep us all posted.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, there ARE shocks - in the middle of the airbag. Something has to control rebound, etc, on the airbag.

All bushings have been replaced, everything is tight, sway bar bushings are the new part number (just replaced), alignment is spot on.
The shocks are clearly going out. The bags do not leak. But it just bounces around. I've driven a new LR3 and the suspension is much harder. Mine is floating all over.

Now, it is possible to put a new shock in the middle of the airbag, but it seems cheaper to just replace the entire unit (bag, shock).

Is this what everyone else has done? Or did you just do shocks? Or is everyone living with the bouncing? I can't do it...

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't bounce so they stay put for know. Yes there are shocks in the center of the assembly. Because I have not gotten to that point myself I can't answer for 100% but I have read that the shocks/bags only come as a unit. Personally I plan to replace mine no matter what at the 10yr/100k (Probably just visually inspect until the 10 years rolls past) which ever comes first. (I absolutly do not want a bag failure on a trip/expedition)

Are all of your shocks bad or just one? I would find it really hard to believe they have all failed at once. Have you had somebody drive in the lanes next to you to see if you have any wheels bouncing excessively while driving at speed?

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't bounce so they stay put for know. Yes there are shocks in the center of the assembly. Because I have not gotten to that point myself I can't answer for 100% but I have read that the shocks/bags only come as a unit. Personally I plan to replace mine no matter what at the 10yr/100k (Probably just visually inspect until the 10 years rolls past) which ever comes first. (I absolutly do not want a bag failure on a trip/expedition)

Are all of your shocks bad or just one? I would find it really hard to believe they have all failed at once. Have you had somebody drive in the lanes next to you to see if you have any wheels bouncing excessively while driving at speed?

How many miles do you have?

I can say that at 75k, the shocks are just not doing a good job at controlling rebound, etc.
I'd like to know what other people who have 75k think....
There's no way I can make it to 100k.

Around town, it feels fine. It's when you take it on the highway at high speeds, which puts enough pressure on the suspension to get it bouncing, that I notice the shocks just aren't doing what they should.

I will be replacing one corner unit, and depending on the results, may look into the other 3 corners.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 77k miles and my suspension feels just as good as it did the day I bought the LR3...after having several bushings replaced, of course.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 77k miles and my suspension feels just as good as it did the day I bought the LR3...after having several bushings replaced, of course.

Ditto. Have 83k miles, front lower control arms replaced twice (for the bushings), tie rod and sway bar bushings (front and rear) replaced. Drives solid and firm, still retains that smooth and floaty highway ride.

squarecircle

Reaction score
Topic is replacement shocks:

Greetings All;

Yes, there does indeed reside a shock absorber inside the LR 3 air bag. Mine were replaced at 25,000 miles not because they were worn-out but for the reason of very poor performance in a fully loaded (expedition) vehicle. No load execution was not much better! I am quite happy with my new 'boingers'. No more baby-buggy, seasick, sloppy, white knuckle and untidy handling characteristics. Swore I would never own another 'limmie' anything again. Guess I'm a slow learner! Lots of mods to keep this rig capable. >>>> Aux tank > big rubber > roc sliders > swing-away spare > roof rac for # 2 spare > lites > to much more. Nothing out there to replace it with. It is Baja proven tough.

KONI SHOCKS
P/N FSD 2100-4069
Land Rover 2006 LR 3

Best Regards, sq.

Last edited:

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can one tell when the bushings are going bad?

Usually when it looks like it's out of control and needs maintenance.. nothing a shaver..oh wait.. you said BUSHINGS.. sorry, my bad. :biggrin: (sorry, I couldnt resist.. I am getting sooo banned on this forum...)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9