HDC Fault, Transmission Fault, Special Programs Not Available - My Exprience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalslug

Reaction score
All,

Sorry for not providing an update. It's official, the brake light switch replacement did not work for me. After replacement on 11/18, for two weeks the HDC error didn't come on but I didn't want to celebrate just yet. The following week my fiance told me the error message came back on again. So we were doing the work around which is to turn off and turn on the ignition and pray the error message goes away.

This weekend my fiance went to visit her mom and on the return back home she had no luck on getting the error message to go away and the HDC issue disabled all the 4X4 features and the air suspension lowered again. She had no choice but to drive it home that way.

Will be living off of Ramen and dollar menus for a few months and will have to get it fixed.:frown::frown::frown:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer. I'm sure you've checked the battery and the brake lights themselves. Another issue that gave me very similar symptoms in the past is a bad wheel angle sensor.

Fairly cheap fix but not one I'd want to do if it isn't the right one. IDS (or Faultmate or IIDTool) should be able to identify the Wheel Angle Sensor if that is the culprit.

metalslug

Reaction score
**Update**

The rear differential lock motor has been replaced which doing further reseach is a known issue with our vehicles and them crapping out at even low miliage (myself having 70k miles) Total cost to repair with replacement part was under 900 dollars by my indy Landrover shop. I reached out Todd (tlt) on getting a replacement part less expensive but needed the car repaired ASAP. But I appriciate him reaching out to me. The replacement also has a year warranty on it from LandRover which ok I guess.

I will keep everyone posted if the error comes on again.

Thanks,

morseman2003

Reaction score
Hi

I've been suffering the same problem recently on my 2007 D3. I read the various threads and took the option to replace the brake switch and while I was at it, also swapped out all the brake lights for Land Rover supplied parts.

That was two days ago and I have suffered the same problem both days since.

It only seems to happen at lower speeds, 30-35 por less and often at tickover at traffic lights or a junction.

I find the engine surges a bit before the fault showing if I am at tickover.

Reading this, I think I'm going to need to get it into the garage and have it checked out to see what the underlying problem is.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Trevor

Regards

Trevor

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
metalslug, thank you so much for the update post back in December. I changed the brake light switch 3 weeks ago and the same faults suddenly came on yesterday in gridlock traffic outside NYC on a family trip. A quick shift to neutral and restart thankfully cleared the codes and raised the suspension back up. So I now know the brake switch isn't the problem.

I also have a rear locker and am at 73K miles. I guess I will be buying a new rear differential lock motor as well. Ugh!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh at british 4x4 outfitters in San Antonio has a good sized batch of them that are fully re-manufactured. Give him a call.

Send in the old one if possible if you go that route.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Josh at british 4x4 outfitters in San Antonio has a good sized batch of them that are fully re-manufactured. Give him a call.

Send in the old one if possible if you go that route.

Will do. Thank you tlt!

SC2006

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw in my experience. I was getting the HDC fault message. I finally had the battery replaced and it seems to have taken care of it.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have just bought a Range Rover HSE TD V8 and had similar problems within a week! Brake, ABS and transmission faults. I had it taken to dealer and they said it is the battery that needs replacing. Awaiting it back, to see if that cures it. Watch this space!

daven5735

Reaction score
Jeni, I've been down this road before. Now getting the same three faults and suspension lowers to access level. I can still drive the vehicle at any speed. I spoke to Doug at Atlantic British who is a LR master mechanic and he believes its a wheel speed sensor. The only way to confirm is to take to the dealership and have them hook-up their diagnostics. Since that is at the rate of $140/hr, I went to Rock Auto and bought all four ABS wheel speed sensors for $120...delivered. Given the age of the vehicle (even though it only has 73K miles) it was just a matter of time before needing to replace them anyway. I always hate guessing and throwing parts at a problem but the ABS module does communicate with the other modules so it does seem logical that when a wheel speed sensor doesn't read the same speed as the others that it will throw faults that alert you to slow down. Once I get them replaced I'll let you know if that solved the problem. This is my fourth LR and aside from these quirkey electronic issues it has been a great one. I do miss the simpler technology.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9