Headlight Lens Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbaydoun1

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just got a 2003 Range HSE and love it!!!!

I ordered a replacement headlight lens for the passenger side because the one was hit by a rock on the highway so it is cracked.

Anyway, Dealer wants to charge me $400 to put it in. :(

Anyone know where I can find instructions on how to install it myself or maybe knows how??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC there are 4 nuts that you remove from the back.

gmal

Reaction score
Hello - new to the forum

Hello - I am new to this forum.

I have a 2003 RR - had for 4 years and am enjoying the vehicle - except for the visits to the dealer.

Look forward to contributing and building up my knowledge base on the Range.

gmal

Reaction score
The passenger side headlight unit is a little tricky to remove, mostly due to the limited space. You will have to remove the headlight housing first, before you can remove/replace the lens.
It is a job you can do yourself with a little care - and I can tell you how to remove the headlight assembly. You will then have to seperate the lens from the housing - which I have not done myself - but should be fairly straight forard.

To remove the passenger side headlamp housing follow this process.
- First, remove the side-market light.
It is held in place by a white plastic fastener (essentially a nut with a tri-wing) that you can unfasten and only reach only by hand. It helps to have a small hand, squeezing it right in front of the airbox and with your fingers unscrew the white fastener till you feel it come lose. CAUTION: the fastener is usually fastened to the sidemarker by a rubber band, so as to prevent it slipping and getting lost into the bumber cavity (from which it is difficult to retrieve). Take your time and you'll get it out. Once the white fastener is out you will need to release two plastic (and probably brittle) clips. One clip is visible at the top, the other is on the same side but at the bottom and hidden. Gently move the sidemarker towards the headlight housing and then away from the car.
You can now gently move the sidemarker out of the way (you will have limited wiring so be careful) or you can disconnect the two electrical wires and remove it completely - for better and unobstructed access.
- Next, remove the front grill - to gain more room. It is held in place by three screws, all visible at the top. Remove the three screws and gently pull the grill up. There is a sensor connected to the grill so again be careful with the wiring. You can either gently put the grill aside and to the right, or disconnect the sensor and remove the grill for more access.
- You are now ready to remove the headlight housing. It is fastened by four bolts - two at the top, which are clearly visible, and two at the bottom (left and rear right). The one at the bottom left is visible if you removed the sidemarker. Unscrew it and set it aside.
The last one, bottom-rear-right is very difficult to get to and hidden in front of the airbox. You will need a long philips (cross) screwdriver, and preferably one that is magnetic. You will also need a flashlight. With the flashlight look down behind the housing and you will see it. It is about 12 inches down and beside a 1.5-inch hose. Be careful to not lose this screw.
Once this is removed you can pull the housing straight out - although there are a couple more plastic guides you'll have to wiggle out of, and you should also gently disconnect the electrical wiring.

With the housing now out you can proceed to replacing the lens. You will notice a number of black clips that fasten the lens to the housing. You will need to remove these. There probably is a moisture seal between the lens and the housing, so you will have to carefully separete the old lens from the housing.

Replacement is the reverse of removal. Reconnect the headlight housing wiring, and re-install it. Take your time so as to properly insert it in the plastic guides. Screw in the bottom left screw first and then the bottom rear one. You have the top two screws as well but keep these lose till you align it with the sidemarker.
Next re-install the sidemarker - and adjust for proper alignment and fit (it is tricky to realign). That white tri-wing fastener is tricky.
Last you can re-fasten the grill.

If you like, I can take some pictures and provide more visual details.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink