Headliner cleaning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to clean the headliner? After 10 years it has it's share of scuffs and looks kind of gross.

It seems like they use a pretty thin fragile fabric in the headliner so I'm afraid to hit it with a strong brush or anything that could stretch it, tear it, or have it separating from the foam backing (which has already happened in a few places).

Should I just pay a detailer to do it or is it an easy task?

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. My son owns a detailing company; I'll ask him and report back.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to hear, I've been using a pet lint roller, at least to get the dog hair off. The material is pretty thin, so it seems easily separated.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. My son owns a detailing company; I'll ask him and report back.
Thanks!
Be curious to hear back.

Only thing I can think of would be one of those handheld steam cleaners. Don't have one, though.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like stocking thin. Mine de laminated from the a-piller and it is very thin. I used some spray adhesive to reattach.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He just said he'd use a multi-purpose cleaner and microfiber.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vacuum it with a powerful handheld vacuum first, a lot of that dirt is probably just collected dust that should be fairly easy to vacuum away. Then you can attack it with a mild detergent and microfiber cloth if it still looks gross. Regarding the A-pillars, the fabric usually delaminates because of overspray of window cleaners and other chemicals during car washes. Adhesive spray - when it even works with such flimsy paper-thin fabric - usually doesn't last very long. Replacement pillar covers are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace: single Torx bolt to undo under the "Airbag" plastic cap, a couple of clips to snap open and the whole trim pops off the pillar. The new one includes a new bolt pre-treated with Loctite. Easy 10-minute job.

dj_karl

Reaction score
Folex is a good product and it won't leave any residue. Spray it on a clean towel and gently rub the headliner.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folex is a good product and it won't leave any residue. Spray it on a clean towel and gently rub the headliner.
Thanks, Karl. I'll keep my eye out for the stuff and will give it a try.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99