Heated windshields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when only 1/2 of the windshield heats its a blown fuse, there are 2 fuses for the front windshield. one operated the left side and one for the right. in the center of the glass(inline with the rear view mirror) you can actually see a 1/4 inch space where the left side heating element ends and the right starts. but yes if only one side is heating 9 times out of 10 its one of the 2 fuses(located in the engine compartment)

my parents alway laughed when I would talk about land rovers, saying how unnecessary 1/2 the features are( heated windshield, steering wheel, windshield washer jets) about 3 weeks ago I met my family in New Hampshire..... 12 degree weather and snow. mind you they were in a base model kia minivan:laugh: it was priceless to watch them drive with gloves on and stop on the side of the road to pour a bottle water on the windshield in hopes of washing it off.... then waiting 10 minutes to now melt the sheet of ice from the water they had just poured.....I pulled up next to then and laughed( as I used my windshield washer)

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aughed when I would talk about land rovers, saying how unnecessary 1/2 the features are( heated windshield, steering wheel, windshield washer jets)
I drove 100 miles last weekend to help a friend move. It was -21F on my ride up. I drove that without a coat thanks to the heated seats, steering wheel, windshield, etc. I don't think I'll ever own another vehicle without at least those features in this region. Granted I did find out that "Auto" climate control needs to be set at either 84 or Max to keep the interior warm when driving 80mph at -21F. :)

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
Reading through the forums.. still no solution to why mine doesn't work at all. Both 40amp fuses are fine, connectors are fine. I read somewhere the brown and green wire coming out of the battery may have something to do with it.. can someone ID what that wire is for? Mine is coming out of the positive terminal. Should it be on the negative?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading through the forums.. still no solution to why mine doesn't work at all. Both 40amp fuses are fine, connectors are fine. I read somewhere the brown and green wire coming out of the battery may have something to do with it.. can someone ID what that wire is for? Mine is coming out of the positive terminal. Should it be on the negative?

Do you have a heated windshield installed? If so then remove the A pillar interior trim garnishes and confirm the ribbon power straps are plugged into the windshield.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
The windshield is original and in good condition. I removed both A pillar trims and it appears the straps are all plugged in.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The windshield is original and in good condition. I removed both A pillar trims and it appears the straps are all plugged in.
OK good. Can you snap a photo of where the two fuses are? I assume the heated windshield light comes on when you press the button?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or. While the covers are off hit the button and check the current with a multimeter. Will the windshield not activate if it is too warm?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the windshield not activate if it is too warm?
Pretty sure temperature doesn't matter. I've kicked mine on in the Arizona heat before, and the interior lights still dim. I'm sure the duty cycle is much shorter though.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or. While the covers are off hit the button and check the current with a multimeter. Will the windshield not activate if it is too warm?
Most multimeters only support up to 10A and the windshield pulls a full 30A so will just pop the fuse in the multimeter. Instead I would check voltage between the two leads in the A pillars. At the same time disconnect one of the leads and measure the resistance between the two windshield leads: It should be ~0.3 Ohm.

If there is no voltage to the windshield (A pillars) the next thing that I would check for is voltage to the fuses: pull the fuse, one side should be at ~12VDC (batter voltage). As I recall the switch is after the fuse, so fuses should be "always hot" but confirming would take someone who already knows, or time to stare at schematics when I have a few minutes.

Feel free to PM me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM