Help - Do I need to buy a Warranty for a 50k miles '05 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeasingh

Reaction score
Enthusiasts and techies, please can you help. I have an opportunity to get into a fair priced extended warranty for my '05 LR3 w/ 50k miles. I'd love to pocket the money, but I am worried I may have a major expense. I'd like to keep the car for 3 more years. I need to decided today - please help. The value of the warranty is about $3k and is the top-end version by Nissan Corp.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You either set that $3k aside as repair seed money or buy the warranty as insurance against something worse than a $3k repair. Me, I'm opting for the extended warranty in the next 6 months.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, 05's had some issues as a new vehicle on the market and either you set some money aside or buy the coverage.
I would have some "GOOD" Rover mechanic check it over well before you decide.

LRB

Reaction score
I would suggest buying a FORD ESP Extra Care warranty. I had 68k miles on my 2005 lr3 back in April and paid $3000 for a 4yr/48K with $50 deductible each time its in the shop NOT for each issue. So far I have nitpicked the hell out of it and gotten a/c compressor, bushings, ect. done to a tune of $3600 so far and I still have most of the warranty left. They even let me finance with $500 down at 0% for 15months. All this work is done at my LR dealer too. They have many other benefits as well with this contract and pay for my loaner cars. This also covers the air suspension compressor. Ford has never gave them a problem and LR recommended them to me. IN MY OPINION its way worth it because anything that goes wrong will be fixed and you will have a wonderful running truck at 100,000 miles. Mine is covered up to 116k, and itll be runnin like new. If you cancel or sell or wreck you get a prorated amount per time back as well.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. All the Ford ESP warranties, even their Premium Care, only covers up to 100k miles, not over that, and 7 years - all from intial vehicle purchase date. So, with my 32k miles I would be covered for about another 4 years and up to 100k miles, not over that.
When did you get your Ford ESP? Who did you get it through? When did you get it on your LR?

LRB

Reaction score
I have read others say what you just said but had bought the same warranty when I got my explorer used 3 years old with 44k miles. I just called different Ford dealerships and got the best price. They all offered the warranty, and actually I got it from a Lincoln dealership. I bought my LR used in Jan 2009 with 50k on Ebay from a private dealer. You can get this at anytime I think up to 100k but it gets pricier and less coverage for more miles. Under 60k is even cheaper than what I paid. Just call a Ford dealer and ask them....you will be able to purchase one. The information you have is not correct. I have a contract and paid invoices to prove that. Good Luck.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3rd for the Ford ESP. It even covers air compressors - I'm on my 3rd. Doubt the Nissan would cover that.

mikeasingh

Reaction score
Thank you all. It sounds like you all say buy it. At least from LRB he has already spent more than $3k so buying the warranty makes sense. You are also correct, Nissan does not cover the suspension. I am over 60k now (not 50) so I wonder if they will cover it. I will check. LRB sounds too good to be true. I know at most if not all LR3 coverage has doubled in price in the last year. Thanks all.

By the way, anyone have a Rosen DVD player installed? Mine doesn't play DVD's - LR said they don't even make these anymore. Any suggestions on repair?

mikeasingh

Reaction score
LRB - no doubt you are speaking the truth, but on the ESP site, they only offer up to 7 years or 100k (from model year) so up to 2012 - this policy costs $3.3k. You may have gotten a one off. This is why I went originally w/ Nissan, which does 4yrs from used purchase date or 100k, for $3.3k as well, buying an additional year.

LRB

Reaction score
Guys the website for Ford ESP is BS. Call a Ford or Lincoln dealer and talk to the person in charge of these warrantys. I have called and the first guy says I dont know if we do that and they always do once they ask...I checked at like 5 different dealers to get the best price. Some wanted to inspect it first and some didnt. I did not get an inspection. It has been like this for a long time. YOU CANT GET IT FROM THE WEBSITE, you have to go to a Ford or Lincoln dealer, no BS. BTW all the prices were about a $300 difference but I wanted the $50 deductible for the same price and finally got them down where I got mine. It sounds to good to be true but it is...Call a dealer and see...let us know what you some up with. You will have to go phisically to the dealer to sign the papers. They told me to wait 30 days and 1000k before I filed a claim if I was going to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99