Help installing the tow bar...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an '05 LR3. i've made several attempts to install the tow bar but no luck- it slides almost all the way in but can't quite get there. it appears the metal tab that slides in as you turn the green lever is not retreating far enough inside the tow bar, and it's hitting the "female" receiver portion.

i figure there is something very basic that i'm not doing right. i've read and re-read the manual but i can't make it happen.

when i turn the green lever all the way the metal tab still sticks out half an inch. is that normal?

the only other thing i can think of is there's a little metal pin that sticks out the top of the tow bar. i cannot make that pin retreat inside the tow bar, but i'm not sure if it's supposed to disappear.

any ideas?

thanks in advance.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks joe, but i've done that with no luck.

do you know if the sliding metal tab is supposed to be flush with the tow bar, or is it supposed to stick out even when the green lever is turned?

ps- your frankenstein mini sounds like fun. there's a guy around here that has an old mini with a honda prelude engine in the back. it scoots!

LR3GuyJoe

Reaction score
you do see the little orange band as pull the green lever then turn right?

Heres a picture of it fully unlocked and the 2nd and of the pins position.

What color is the mini? Yeah its a fun little car, I know quite a few guys with honda motors up front.

4298754413_c935e607f1_o.jpg

4298753927_ed797ebea9_o.jpg

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that second picture did the trick! my tab wasn't sliding that far in, so i tried fiddling with things- i turned the key back and then brought it around again, and when i did that i gained an extra bit of turn on the green lever. that was enough for the metal tab to slide all the way in like your picture! thanks for taking the time to post that picture!

i can't remember what color the mini is... sorry. but the honda motor was in the back, driving the rear wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635