high pitch squeal from front of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,
had a high pitch squeal coming from the front of the engine (at least it seems) the other day when I stopped at the atm (left running - vehicle plenty warmed up) - (couldn't really hear it in the car)... A/C was on. Squeal stopped on its own. didnt repeat on restart either - - I believe the times I heard it I had the A/C on - but not positive.
I charged the A/C the other day - but was mindful of the gauge and believe I didn't over fill. I just rechecked the pressure today and had 30 psi. (initially thought it was the compressor)
Also checked the water pump pulley for play (without removing the belt) and there was none - while the vehicle was running (preforming A/C pressure check) I watched the pulleys, didn't see any unusual movement.
The Squeal is not a on-off type - it starts and stays for a few min (at least from what i can tell as I only here it when I come to a stop).
Have also noticed that when I turn the engine off after a drive I can hear a diff type of squeal- wind down. - but has similar characteristics (I turn off the A/C at least 30 sec before engine)

any ideas?

70k stock D1
check fluids regularly - all filled
daily driven

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the idle pulley is starting to go bad.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Use either a long screwdriver or a mechanics stethoscope and place it on the offending part and listen... Normally it will have a very rough sound to any part that is going bad.

I would check all the pulleys and or motors (i.e. alt, ps, a/c)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo