Hitch-mount Bike Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLeever

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a hitch-mount bike rack for the LR3? I have looked at the various Thule and Yakima options, but wanted some feedback from actual LR3 users.

Thanks!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Yakima Flip Side 4-bike carrier last week. Very high quality and works great. Easy to assemble and install, just a little heavy if you remove it and the hitch at the same time. I also used a Thule strap (those long blue ones) to secure the front wheels on the bikes from turning left or right while on the rack.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/yakima-flipside.asp

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the cheaper Allen 740RR swing away; it's about $150 on ebay, or cheaper if you find someone clearing 'em out. The price and swing away design is obviously the big advantage, but it's a pretty heavy beast (~50lbs) and there has been some comment on the internet about the design being overly complex and prone to early failure. I've used mine maybe a dozen times so far, and it's been just fine - the swing out design is handy as you don't loose access to the rear hatch, and the arm swings the bikes away enough to open top/bottom parts while standing directly behind the truck. I do find it appears to "bend" a bit on full extension (ie, the bikes get closer to the ground the more you swing), but it doesn't seem to be harming anything, and this comment has been echoed by other happy users. I've only put 3 bikes on, and they were tight (large adult sized mountain bikes), but it's certainly doable.

Here's an eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALLEN-740RR-4-B...ries?hash=item2c5039b952&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im planning on purchasing my bike rack when I go to Oregeon at the end of August (no sales tax!). But so far, Ive borrowed a Yakima swing away as well as the Thule. The Thule is a bit more pricier but it has fine tuned the minute details such as the hide-away cable lock. Something the Yakima doesnt have. But I rather save myself the $50 and just have the cable lock not in hide-away mode. The Yakima is cheaper, and sturdy. And when you swing it out (two adult bikes and a kids bike), it doesnt bend.. I think Im going to go with the Yakima.

Wildewinds

Reaction score
I have one of these: http://www.swagman.net/product_platform1.html

It's a nice rack for a few reasons. Being a platform rack with a ratcheting hold-down device, you can literally mount the bike and lock it down in three seconds. It's WAY lighter than the yakima and thule options, which really makes a difference if you're putting it on and taking it off all the time (like I do). It has a bolt-down hitch which keeps it from swaying or moving around. Finally, it folds down really easy into a (relatively) small package.

I've had it for over a year now and I'm really happy with it.

Oh yeah, it's also way cheap.

Acuwar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wildewinds where and how much was your bike rack?

Also do you have any pix bike on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM