Honda Passport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old Passport was a cool suv especially for the time. I hope this is a real product and not just a retooled Pilot.
The Pilot AWD is probably one of the worst I have ever driven in snow.

I totally agree...our 2004 MDX was terrible in snow. The rear wheels would randomly engage if they detected slippage then disengage if they detected traction. When they would suddenly disengage it could send you spinning. I think the Acura full time SH-AWD system has trickled down to the current Pilot and now the Passport.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm my Ridgeline is quite good in the snow but it runs a different system than the MDX. In fact on icy roads the Ridgeline is better than the LR4 while the LR4 is better in deep snow. Same winter tires on both.

Plus for the Honda. In 8 years of ownership it has been oil/filters and one set of brake pads. It has never been back to the dealer.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus for the Honda. In 8 years of ownership it has been oil/filters and one set of brake pads. It has never been back to the dealer.

Same experience with Honda Accords in the 80's & 90's when I was a sales rep and drove 50K+ miles a year. Oil changes, 4 sets of tires, 2 sets of brake pads, 1 timing belt, 1 clutch over 200K miles and that was it. Then I switched to A4's and loved how they drove despite constant issues and frequent visits to the dealer.

My kids start driving soon and we need to add a smaller vehicle to the family motor pool. My wife insists I buy something with all the modern safety technology like automatic braking, BSM, lane keep assist, etc. I was thinking VW Alltrack or Tiguan but now I'm thinking Passport as I know it will be far more reliable than a VW.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanically I think Hondas are still quite solid. The build quality is so so and of course the gen I Ridgeline is nowhere near the NVH levels of the LR4. It is uber reliable and handy though. I will probably always have one around.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice marketing touch from Honda there, burning through the dirt - but I can already feel the smirks burning my face as I drive a Honda Passport offroad :). I guess they are trying to compete with the "off-road persona" portayed by the Disco Sport and Subaru vehicles.

It does look better than the Disco Sport and Subaru options and you're right, I bet it drives much better from what I have heard (have not driven the Sport).

Also out today is the Gladiator, which is a cheesy name if you ask me, but it is an interting alternative for the LR4/5, at least off-road wise. it will never match up in terms of on-road comfort, but it looks versatile.

tor-jt-pickup-mopar-accessories-la-auto-show-9-jpg.jpg
...and this just in...the current Wrangler achieved a 1 star crash rating. That would put this truck on the immediate "NO" list for me.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and this just in...the current Wrangler achieved a 1 star crash rating. That would put this truck on the immediate "NO" list for me.

Curious if the side-impact airbags are still an option on the Wrangler like they were on the JK.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it got a 1-star due to a lack of an automatic emergency braking system? That's misleading.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a town with a drive-on beach and about 25% of the vehicles in the high school student parking lot are Wranglers. By April they all have the doors off. Not sure that minimal side impact protection is a good idea for new drivers. Not to mention being top-heavy and clumsy in emergency maneuvers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM