Hood letters - coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started peeling after 3 yrs of ownership. I wash my truck by hand and don't use an electric buffer which is what the dealer accused me of. My garage door has windows so it does get a lot of sun. That might be the reason for mine peeling.

Last edited:

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Peeling Letters

One thing -- I have noticed the same problem on door handles on full sized Range Rovers (03+)... it looks like they are painted in a similar manner (ie matte finished grey paint). Next time you are in a parking lot next to a full sized Rover, take a look. It looks very similar to what's happening with the letters on the hood. I've also seen some of the rear emblems on LR3's peeling (ie "LR3 V8 HSE")

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a common denominator for those of you who have this issue? Any other car wash users? Hot, arid climates? Salt used on snowy roads?

Mine seem pretty good...I live in a temperate climate (PNW), no salt used on our roads (yet), I park in a garage and never use a car wash. Is there a correlation or should I expect this peeling to eventually occur?

I recently purchased my rig, and I'm almost positive I didn't notice this while it was on the lot. Then, a couple days after I had it home, I noticed it. It's as if the dealer ran it through some sort of wash before I went to pick it up...and that is what caused it. :(

It came out of Vegas - is in Utah now. So, perhaps it was either the Vegas heat, or the one carwash...

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 has always been in the hot Florida sun. My dealer replaced all letters front and back at 48k before factory warranty ran out after I asked them. I thought I saw those letters for $75 from a land rover parts website though???

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 has always been in the hot Florida sun. My dealer replaced all letters front and back at 48k before factory warranty ran out after I asked them. I thought I saw those letters for $75 from a land rover parts website though???

I've found $105 at BPUtah. You know of something else?

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have raised some prices since I searched last. 105 looks like the best price, Atlantic British is 54 for each piece "Land""Rover". Looks like I had them replace my faded washer jets at that time also:)

RumRunnr

Reaction score
my LAND ROVER looks like cr@p too. I'll replace them one of these days but for now I'll tell myself that it adds character. I wonder why the LR3 V8 SE on the back isn't peeling? In my mind that may rule out salt as the culprit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge