Hood letters - coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright - so my LAND ROVER hood letters have some sort of coating that is peeling off. Anyone else had theirs do this? Any cheap fixes? Buffing? Automotive touch-up paint?

photo-3.jpg

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some dealers, including mine will swap them out for you if your truck is still
under warranty. I had this done a couple of months ago.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This seems to happen on the 05/06's

It JUST started happening to mine... 2005 HSE. Know that when you replace them, there are 2 colors (the brunel grey from 05/06 and the silver from 07+). So you'll want to either replace both LAND and ROVER with the new color, or get the old color for one, the other or both.

*** The color diff is very slight but there is a difference. It seems like the 05/06 color is affected by the peeling more so I am going to replace both of mine with the newer color.

Mine were 100% perfect until I went thru 1 touchfree carwash this winter to get the salt off, I think the chemicals did it. I noticed it the next day on the top of the R O V E R letters. grr.
Seems to be a really common problem as alot of LR3s I see on the streets here in Nashville have this happening (and a year or two ago I did not noticed it)

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm out of warranty. :(
I guess I'll either pony up $120 for new letters, or I may see if I can get some sort of automotive paint and "touch them up".
I'll keep you posted with what I try...

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just replace them. I think if you try to touch them up they won't
look good no matter how careful you are. My $.02.

calibre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So - if I decide to replace them...

Has anyone had to pull of their letters? Is it difficult? Any tips? I'm assuming it's just double-sided tape? What's the best way to clean that sticky mess off?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a common denominator for those of you who have this issue? Any other car wash users? Hot, arid climates? Salt used on snowy roads?

Mine seem pretty good...I live in a temperate climate (PNW), no salt used on our roads (yet), I park in a garage and never use a car wash. Is there a correlation or should I expect this peeling to eventually occur?

Urq

Reaction score
So - if I decide to replace them...

Has anyone had to pull of their letters? Is it difficult? Any tips? I'm assuming it's just double-sided tape? What's the best way to clean that sticky mess off?

If it is just double sided tape just use a piece of thin fishing line to remove it.
then clean up with some goo be gone at the local hard ware store or even a normal store has it but it cost's more.

MikeWellsinVA

Reaction score
Using waxed dental floss avoids the scratching that fishing line can cause. Some recommend using a hair dryer to warm te adhesive before removing. You can use WD-40 to remove the left-over adhesive.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what the reasons for it are, mine look pretty much like the pictures. It's a Midwest rust-belt vehicle, very seldom use the car wash. Fortunately for me I don't care :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4