Hood shakes while on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lax_frat

Reaction score
While driving my (2005) LR3 on the highway this morning, the hood suddenly started shaking like crazy. I pulled over thinking that for some reason the hood must not be closed all the way, but it was. I noticed that on the driver side, I could lift the hood up about an inch, almost like it's loose. Is there something I can do without involving the dealership to fix it?
-Ryan.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open the hood and lubricate the latches. My hood would do the same thing. There are two latches. Also close it with a little UMPH!

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lubricated my latch mechanisms with a little WD-40. Feel free to use the lubricant of your choice. Not too much though, it'll act as a dust magnet, in excess. ;)

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Graphite is best. Did you get a "Bonnet Open" warning? Bang it shut. Dropping it delicately down then pushing further down until it "clicks" doesn't always work. Treat it like your Boss. SMACK IT!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are actually three latches, one in the middle, and one on either side.... too lazy to go lift the hood and look. Lubrication seems like the fix, I have never heard of a latch failure (amazing) yet.

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove into a wonderful Chicagoland Thunderstorm last week with wind gusting around 65 mph and I was driving into the wind at about 40-the hood did the whole wiggle like im coming open on the drivers side...I too pulled over and checked it as soon as it was safe to do so; nothing loose. Locked down just as tight as should be....but it was funky watching the hood flex in that kinda head wind.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worlds largest single aluminum pressing.

Graphite is best. Did you get a "Bonnet Open" warning? Bang it shut. Dropping it delicately down then pushing further down until it "clicks" doesn't always work. Treat it like your Boss. SMACK IT!
Yes, make certain both the left and right latches are latched. After having the same hood corner lifts scare, I always try to lift each corner after closing the bonnet. I use graphite as well to lubricate the latches. WD40 is best for a quick fix; graphite lasts more than a month.

In 2005, Land Rover boasted that the bonnet is the largest single aluminum pressing in the world. That is great until you have to purchase one.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing if I don't SLAM the hood after I'm in there. Doesn't happen every time, but it always seems closed up fine until I'm on the highway and see the vibration. A good hood slam takes care of it every time. Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo