Horrible Exaust Note

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, over a period of time my disco developed an extreamely weird exaust note, and what feels like less power/ torque during excelleration. Its hard to describe the noise it makes. Its kinda like whistling and like an old choppy exaust of a car from the 40s.. Im trying to figure out if its my exaust system ( pipes muffler, catalytic converter ), a mechanic told me the muffler is fine.. But to be sure im going to pull out my life time warranty and head down to meineke to make em look at it. Any ideas what could it be?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Try driving in at night until you hear the sound... stop in a fairly dark area and look at the CATS, if they are bright red you you have your problem. If you hear rattling at all, then you have small parts of the CATS getting lodged in the muffler causing this same issue.

Sounds to me like an exhaust restriction some where.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it kind of a rattle/ whistling noise, it happen's whenever you apply gas, where is the CAT specifically located?

(im assuming by cat, u mean the catalytic converter )

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
by CAT I do mean the catalytic converter.... they are located in the 'Y' pipe between the engine and the frame.

Just about any muffler shop will check for free, but if you do need them I would try to buy and have a shop weld them in. 'Y' pipe is around $500 + or -, but cats can be done alot cheaper...

http://www.completeexhaust.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=184

$65 a piece much cheaper IMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4