Horrible rattle from sunroof area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my LR4 has developed a loud rattle up top. it sounds like something is going to come crashing down. its much worse with sunroof closed. sunroof seems to function ok with no weird noises. it rattles when the truck is jarred over potholes or other fairly rigid bumps. does anyone have an idea what this could be or how to troubleshoot it (without removing the entire headliner?)

thanks!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you press your hand against the glass of the closed sunroof as you drive over broken pavement, does the rattle go away?

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No difference from what I can tell. It actually seems to do it just as bad if the sunroof is open vented or closed

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound very much resembles a door window that is loose and rattling around in the door when it isnt all the way up. My sunroof is tight so i dont know whatvit could be.

schlooman

Reaction score
I'm having the same noise/rattle/squeak with my 2011 LR4, though not as violent as you describe. It's right above my head seemingly something with the sunroof/sunshade. I've tried to press up against the headliner and/or the glass. No luck. I can't really get a good look in there and dread taking the entire headliner down. Hope I can find an easy fix (no one ever says "hope I can find a complicated fix," HA). For now, I'll just crank up the stereo.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got it too...something to do with the sunshade mechanism rattling. Probably need to take down the entire headliner to get at it so like schlooman I just turn up the music.

At first I thought it could be the rubber sunroof gasket squeaking which is a common issue on any vehicle with an opening sunroof. Just clean the rubber sunroof gasket with alcohol to remove dirt then apply some Teflon bike lube to the rubber gasket to stop that noise.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies for the old bump, but I now have this issue too. Headliner rattle, above driver and at the rear of the roof opening. The rattle is same whether shade is deployed or not, and I can press up on the liner to make the sound. It's almost as if a clip has broken and now there's play between the liner and another component. My roads are terrible as I'm sure all yours are and so it's a constant rattle. Really seriously annoying as it's almost directly overhead. Anyone else??

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to get this issue a bit, but it isn't terrible yet... thinking about shoving some small shims up there to see if I can cure it...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72