Hotttt!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
OUCH!!!! The 1998 Disco is really HOT! I was moving some stuff on the passenger side floor board and I put my hand near the console (where the vents are for air). IT IS REALLY HOT !! Like burned my fingers hot ... Is this something I should be worried about ? Hot !! It was wet too..Tasted like water (no anti-freeze) . It has been raining here all week and as usual, I like to hit the big puddles! Any suggestions ?? I have never noticed it this hot before .. Of course I have never put my hand there . THANKS !! MEL

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be water dispersing heat from manifold and splashing fire wall. If temp readings on car are normal check it when dry. Oh, and stop splashing those kids at their bus stops.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks Mark!! The temp guage is ok. My only concern is that it is not hot on the driver side? Coolant is ok ...Checked it last night. My pinky finger is still burned from touching it...
I told the kids I was sorry .. Ha Ha !!

Last edited:
D

discomike

Melissa,
If I am not mistaken, I think the area you are talking about is near where the manifold hooks to the "Y" pipe and then goes down to the right hand cat. Could be normal, most likely not, could be the right cat running toooo hot trying to burn off excess fuel from the right bank???
What do you think??
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
You are on to something Hot here Mike (did you get it ?? Hot?? :tongue: ) . I replaced the left 02 sensor and I am still getting that blasted PD Code from OBD2 ... P11xx (system open circuit.. Yada Yada ). Yet to replace the right 02 sensor ..Its hard to reach and last time I got my hand stuck back there. And also @ 129.99 per sensor since I need the more expensive ones, I decided to wait. Ummmm..Maybe its time to change it though?? How long do you think I can wait till I change it? I do not want it to get REALLY HOT !!!!! :mad: Thanks !!! Mel

D

discomike

Melissa,
Do you remember what the exact fault code is or was when you replaced the first sensor?
The O2 sensor won't cause the heat, it is not within its range of stuff to screw up.
My concern is that you may have one or more cylinders on the right back running rich, causing your right cat. to be over heating.
I can't remember your trucks history, how long has it been since you replaced plugs and wires, and or run some really strong gas additive thru to clean your injectors?
One thing you might try and if you burn yourself, you will be sent to your room, would be to let the truck idle or when it is running at normal temp. crawl under neith and from a distance see if you can feel a difference in the heat coming from your cats?
I still think the rightone, passanger side, is over working itself.
Let me know.
Mike J.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wear leather gloves when your under to protect your hands. You will definately still feel the heat but you won't have your hand wrapped in bangages afterward.

Mike, is there really a drastic difference between the 129.99 dollar O2 sensors and the ones from Atlantic british for 69.99. My mech friend said as long as they have E rating(ie exceeds manufacturer specs), they are good part.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hey Mike ..yes the first code pulled was P1178 then we went to P1179 ..Never saw P1179 again (AMFR Max Negative) ..Now I have P1188..

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Oh strong additive = Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner two weeks ago. Spark plus FEB 2004 @ LR AUSTIN (62k miles)..Now the Disco has about 73K.. I replaced the left side 02 sensor first b/c some one told me that side usually goes before the others.. I also installed high flow after market cats too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72