How to convince my sister to buy an LR4 instead of a Honda Odyssey?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Volvo XC70 is def worth considering. We have one, T6 AWD, with the Polestar software. Thing is no joke if you get into the gas. It is the best long distance family cruiser we have had so far, including the LR4. Best seats ever, quiet, and smooooooth ride. add in 27-30 mph hwy, and its hard to beat.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Volvo XC70 is def worth considering. We have one, T6 AWD, with the Polestar software. Thing is no joke if you get into the gas. It is the best long distance family cruiser we have had so far, including the LR4. Best seats ever, quiet, and smooooooth ride. add in 27-30 mph hwy, and its hard to beat.

It's a slippery slope though. You must have considered the XC70 partially because of it's ground clearance and cargo space and/or over all flexible uses?

The XC70 and other large volume wagons, with ground clearance, are the last stage before going into an actual "SUV". I say "actual" and "suv" because nowadays too many vehicles are considered "suv" whereas I grew up thinking a real SUV was basically a truck with a contiguous space inside.

Therefor, all these tall toy cars that people call suv are simply not in my opinion. Cars like Rav4, Highlander, Honda Element, Range Rover Evoque, BMW X anything (earlier X5 may have been more stout, not sure), VW Touareg, Audi Q anything and of course any of the egg shaped things that I think should stay titled CUV.

VW Touareg enthusiasts like to call it a "truck". I don't see many people in Porsche Cayenne forums calling theirs a "truck" but they're basically the same vehicle. To me, a Touareg is not much different from a beefed up Audi A6 allroad or Subaru Outback wagon in some ways but you don't hear even the craziest modified lifted Subarus being called a "truck".

Too many people shopping for what they think is an "suv", like the AWD soft-road versions above, forget that some "wagons" actually have more usable interior cargo volume and just as much ground clearance.

Some wagons actually have more usable cargo square footage than much larger actual SUV's. The Land Rover Range Rover and Toyota Land Cruiser are good examples of true suv's that don't have any more cargo floor space due to the 2nd row seats staying in the way all the time even folded forward. Even my 535 BMW wagon has more usable floor length than those two and a wagon like the XC70 just mocks the larger suvs in the cargo space category.

Even though some car based suvs like the Touareg or Cayenne had the option of low range gearing and locking differentials, they are still very much a car having very little wheel articulation which is what separates true off road vehicles from cars. The previous generation Touareg and Cayenne are pretty much the extreme limit of capable car/suv but they have almost no cargo space when compared to a large wagon. Even a Jetta Sportwagon has more room than those two ;)

This thread started with basically a quest to prove LR4 as the better choice over a great platform minivan. It's hard to support the LR4 unless you really need or want ruggedness. Keeping in mind it's ok to "want" it even if it isn't needed ;)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sadly, the T6 with Polestar software is no longer available in the XC70. Just a 2.0 4-cylinder with FWD or a 2.5 5-cylinder with AWD. I think the only fast wagon still available in the US is the MB E-class wagon.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly, the T6 with Polestar software is no longer available in the XC70. Just a 2.0 4-cylinder with FWD or a 2.5 5-cylinder with AWD. I think the only fast wagon still available in the US is the MB E-class wagon.

Depends on what you mean by "fast". For current new cars, yes, it's become a dramatically reduced field. I'd say the BMW 3 wagon can be made fast in either the turbo 4 or even the diesel and it grew in size after the last generation change.

The E63 S hardly counts for this discussion though due to it's cost. Amazing yes, but not many people can justify, or even afford, $120,000 msrp for a wagon. The standard E350 I wouldn't really call "fast" with it's naturally aspirated V6 and heavy car. Even the E350 builds out to $76,000 without the high end stereo option.

Wow, you might be right though, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else. Did we just see the end of such cars int he US?

There are lots of strange large fast 5 door hatch backs though :/

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the topic, what's the fastest or most tune-able minivan ?

Also, if a person wants lots of space for a large family and still left over room for cargo, why don't more people try the various passenger vans? There's even the domestic versions which can be quite capable off road with proper tires.

The Mercedes Metris looks like it will be a cool van if the Sprinter seems to big or not plush enough but the new diesel and 4x4 Sprinters are extreemely functional for sheer volume inside with seating for 9-12

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow, that stinks. Our is a 2015 model, but we ordered it early in the year. I thought they were keeping the inline 6 in that one for a while longer, along with the 4 bangers for some reason. Guess we just made it...

Same with my 13 LR4, one of the last ones apparently...

Last edited:

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the topic, what's the fastest or most tune-able minivan ?

Also, if a person wants lots of space for a large family and still left over room for cargo, why don't more people try the various passenger vans? There's even the domestic versions which can be quite capable off road with proper tires.

The Mercedes Metris looks like it will be a cool van if the Sprinter seems to big or not plush enough but the new diesel and 4x4 Sprinters are extreemely functional for sheer volume inside with seating for 9-12

Can you get that gigumbous Nissan full size van with 4wd? thing is huge...

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get that gigumbous Nissan full size van with 4wd? thing is huge...

It's also equally as ugly... I don't think there's a 12 seat version anyway.

Not sure about the 4wd, I do think I saw an offroad type conversion of one though on the VanSpecialties website.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635