How to Jump the Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toran

Reaction score
Hello Good People,

This site looks awesome!
I have been reading the threads for awhile now and need some help.

Still in the process of tracking down a no start on the 1999 D2.
I have been reading the threads for a week now and would like exact instructions on what wires to jump on the fuel pump to see if it is defective or not.

I have a red wire with a 15amp inline fuse, along with a black wire ready to go.

As of now all onboard fuses are working.
The CPS was replaced over the weekend.
Switched washer and pump relay, still no start.

The inertia switch?
I jumped the two outer pins together, leaving the inner pin untouched.
Is this correct

The fuel pump relay?
Do you jump pin 30 and 87?

She turns over just fine but no start...
Starter fluid gets her going every time but dies when it dries up.

T.I.A.

Attachments

• fuel pump.jpg
    fuel pump.jpg
    922.2 KB · Views: 23

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Easy test for fuel pump... Relay is in passenger foot well. Have someone listen when you turn the key and listen for it to click. If it clicks relay is good. Now have them listen to the fuel pump by having them in the back of the Rover or under the rear by the tank. Turn the key if they don't hear the pump it is probably bad (check for voltage going to the pump. If you get voltage but no pump it is bad. If no voltage check the wiring going near the drivers side rear fender well there is another plug there. If all is good then try a simple light bulb test by disconnecting things and appling power to the wire and see if it can light up a bulb at the wires at the fuel pump... with everything disconnected of course.

Download the RAVE Manual in my signature if you haven't already.

Toran

Reaction score
Hello joey!

Thank you for the welcome, great to be on the forum. Looking forward to contributing.
Feels like I know you after reading hundreds of your post already. I am also in Cincy!

Thanks for the feedback. In the end it was the aged old original fuel pump that went out.

Still would like to know what wires go where to jump a fuel pump for future reference. Better to be on the safe side and have my jumper wire ready and know exactly how to use it.

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully you will only have to change it once... don't let the tank get below a 1/4 tank and it should keep the pump cool and happy.

Toran

Reaction score
Thanks joey, I will never forget that!
Much appreciated!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635